2012 130 Super Sport Trailer in Naples, Florida Area

A conversation among Whalers
JayB

2012 130 Super Sport Trailer in Naples, Florida Area

Postby JayB » Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:59 am

I plan to buy a trailer for my 2012 130 SUPER SPORT. I have read the keel [of a Boston Whaler Unibond hull boat] should be supported by keel rollers with bunks stabilizing the hull.

Calling local trailer sellers I have found these brands and models available around Naples, Florida:
  • Continental A1412 aluminum trailer with only one roller up front, and bunks with plastic skid pads;
  • Continental C412 tilt-model with rollers
  • Continental EC 312 with rollers
  • Continental EC 39 with rollers
Other than the four mentioned above, suggest other brands and models, and specifically, suggest a KARAVAN trailer model for use with a 2012 130 SUPER SPORT.

--Jay

jimh

Re: 2012 130 Super Sport Trailer in Naples, Florida Area

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:14 am

For readers who have not memorized all the model designations for CONTINENTAL trailers, here is a link to their catalogue:

http://www.continentaltrailers.com/cont ... alogue.pdf

JayB wrote:I have read the keel [of a Boston Whaler Unibond hull boat] should be supported by keel rollers with bunks stabilizing the hull.
A trailer with multiple keel rollers with most of the hull weight bearing on the rollers and with smaller lateral bunks for stability was the general old-school approach to the optimum rig for a Boston Whaler Unibond hull boat.

In 2023, however, trailers of that type are generally not easy to find. One can take a cue from Boston Whaler, which now provides their boats delivered on trailers; they are often using the KARAVAN brand.

The CONTINENTAL trailers are among the few models available with keel rollers. Since they are made in Florida, you should have no problem finding one.

The TILT-TRAILER is really very old-school, dating from an era when launch ramps were not as available as now, and boats might be launched from improvised ramps just on the shore of a lake or river. I have seen many launchings and loadings (of Boston Whaler boats as large as 25-footers) involving a CONTINENTAL trailer with the TILT option, but I have never actually seen that feature used. That is because it was unnecessary at a modern improved boat launch ramp. Today a tilt-trailer at a launch ramp is a tiny minority of trailers in use. If you need to be able launch the boat from almost any situation, you might want to get a tilt-trailer if that feature might be useful for you.

Regarding construction with galvanized steel or with aluminum, the preference is likely associated with the type of water the trailer will be continually immersed in. For use in freshwater, a galvanized steel trailer will have an extremely long life. For constant use in saltwater, aluminum trailers may offer better longevity. Aluminum trailers may end up being lighter weight than a comparable steel trailer. This could be a big factor if the towing vehicle towed-weight rating is a limiting factor.

Another consideration will be trailer brakes. Typically for a 13-foot boat a trailer will not need brakes. You should check the law in your home state to determine what weight limit is imposed on trailers without brakes.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:05 am

I believe the Karavan trailers sold with Boston Whaler boats do not have keel rollers.
Butch

frontier

Postby frontier » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:54 pm

Check with your local Boston Whaler dealers. So many of the smaller Whalers are sold for use as a yacht dingy, the new owners don't need the trailer. Especially in Florida. Check often - the left over trailers sell quickly. And usually for a reasonable price.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:13 am

frontier wrote:Check with your local Boston Whaler dealers. So many of the smaller Whalers are sold for use as a yacht dingy, the new owners don't need the trailer. Especially in Florida. Check often - the left over trailers sell quickly. And usually for a reasonable price.
That is really excellent advice. I would have never thought of that--not so many huge yachts in the Great Lakes area.

Big Tiki

Postby Big Tiki » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:21 pm

You might want to talk to Rocket Marine Trailers in Fort Myers. They will make a trailer for you just the way you want it with the keel rollers. I know its a small boat and doesn't need an over built trailer but I've never been overly impressed with Continental trailers. I'm sure they are fine but they look like an average run of the mill production trailer. https://rockettrailers.com/?utm_campaign=gmb

Big Tiki

Postby Big Tiki » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:45 pm

I just looked at a bunch of 130 Super Sports for sale on Boat Trader, these boats were on Boston Whaler branded Karavan trailers and they only have one roller up front and half of them the rollers weren't even touching the hull. I'm not sure your boat really even needs keel rollers. I had a 1992 Boston Whaler 13 foot sport on a Magic-tilt trailer with keel rollers and it was super easy to push off and pull on the trailer by hand. I now have a 2018 Boston Whaler 150 Super Sport (the big brother to your boat) on a Boston Whaler branded Karavan trailer with No rollers at all and it is very easy to load and unload. Now if that doesn't make your trailer decision clear as mud I don't know what will.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:53 pm

The Karavan trailer that comes standard with the small Whaler models is the economy model. They don't hold up very well.

I would prefer to look at Rocket or Load Rite brands.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:21 am

Before deciding which trailer brand is for you, consider these factors:

• If you are boating in saltwater or brackish water, trailer corrosion becomes a very important factor. For boating in freshwater, perhaps trailer corrosion is a little less important.
  • Will you be towing over rough roads?
  • How often will you tow? Will it be year round?
  • Do you routinely tow over long distances?
  • Do you plan to keep your boat and trailer for a long time?

As you are boating In Naples, Florida, your use may fit-in with heavy user and mostly saltwater, but the other factors to assist in your buying decision remain.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:41 am

Check your state law to see if the trailer will need to have brakes to make it legal to tow in your state .

Here is a link to the Florida regulations.

Cf: https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/0316.261

Read the fine print about "...trailer weight not to exceed 40-percent of the gross weight of the towing vehicle..."

Trailer brakes will add cost, and they can be a maintenance nuisance--particularly in saltwater--but they can be very helpful when towing, particularly if the towing vehicle is being asked to handle a trailer weight that is close to its maximum allowed Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).

Kapharms

Postby Kapharms » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:55 am

Jay, I have a 1977 SPORT 15 that sits and rides beautifully on a trailer made by CONTINENTAL. I purchased the trailer from B & B Trailers (904-829-6855) in Saint Augustine, Florida They have a very wide selection of trailers that are very reasonably priced, a very knowledgeable staff, and exceptional customer service. A bit of a drive from Naples, but worth a look.

Happy boating,

—Ken