Revenge 20 W-T Deck Space

A conversation among Whalers
Codeflow

Revenge 20 W-T Deck Space

Postby Codeflow » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:13 pm

I understand the REVENGE 20 W-T is the same as the REVENGE 22 W-T minus two feet of the cockpit space.

What is the length of the cockpit space for either a REVENGE 20 W-T or a REVENGE 22 W-T?

I may be buying a REVENGE 20 W-T.

jimh

Re: Revenge 20 W-T Deck Space

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:35 am

Codeflow wrote:I understand the REVENGE 20 W-T is the same as the REVENGE 22 W-T minus two feet of the cockpit space.
Your understanding is correct. The two boats are essentially the same other than the 22-foot hull having a about two feet added deck space. The beam is the same. The cabin superstructure is the same.

There is one significant difference: the 20-foot hull has always had a full width splash well dam, just like the 18-foot and 25-foot hulls. The 22-foot hull initially had a much smaller center sink-type engine splash well, until the mold for the hull liner was re-done in c.1990.

I owned a REVENGE 20 W-T for several years. In order to stretch the deck space, I mounted the outboard engines on 10-inch set-back brackets. This put all the outboard engine rigging, cables, and steering aft of the actual transom. As a result the engine splash well was completely empty, other than the two battery boxes.

I kept the engine splash well overboard drains plugged. The splash well then became a dry space, and I used it for a cooler. I installed a small centrifugal pump in the splash well to remove any water that might accumulate there. With this approach, I essentially got two feet more cockpit space.

splashWell.JPG
Fig. 1. The engine splash well on a REVENGE 20 W-T repurposed to be useful space. Photo by the author, taken September 2003 at Lund, British Columbia, Canada.
splashWell.JPG (108.67 KiB) Viewed 2128 times

I now have a REVENGE 22 W-T Whaler Drive. In addition to the two-foot-longer hull, the Whaler Drive adds another two feet, so this boat is really about four-feet longer than the REVENGE 20 W-T. There is a significant difference in trailering the two boats. The 20-footer was much less load for the towing vehicle, and overall much easier to launch or load at the ramp than the "22" with Whaler Drive has been.

Codeflow

Postby Codeflow » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:09 am

Thanks, Jim. Great information.

Can you recall the approximate cockpit length minus the splashwell of the REVENGE 20?

How did you like the twin 90-HP setup? I’m looking at one with a single 200-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engine.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:42 pm

A REVENGE 20 with 200-HP will be very quick to accelerate onto plane and should have excellent top speed, probably 40-MPH or more. I base that on having a total weight of around 4,000-lbs, 200-HP, and a hull coefficient of 180. Crouch's method says boat speed 40.6-MPH. With that same input but reducing to 140-HP (as in my REVENGE 20) the predicted boat speed becomes 34-MPH--just what I was getting.

My twin Yamaha engines were 70-HP engines. The top speed was about 34-MPH when turning 17-pitch three-bladed Yamaha black steel propeller. The boat could not get on plane with one engine still using the 17-pitch propeller.

I do not miss the twin engines in terms of operating the boat and performance of the boat. My current boat is a single engine 225-HP and I like having only one throttle-shift control.

Of course, the twin engines were nice for having redundancy in case one engine would not run. With only a single engine, I am a bit more hesitant to take really long offshore trips alone.

I will give you a measurement of the length of my REVENGE 22 W-T Whaler Drive from the helm console aft bulkhead to the hull's transom outboard face (not to the Whaler Drive transom): 11-feet exactly. That is a funny number as it puts the helms right in the middle of a 22-foot hull. That sounds like something a Bob Dougherty-designed classic Boston Whaler boat would have.