Moving to OUTRAGE 22 from OUTRAGE 17

A conversation among Whalers
Outrage_Sage

Moving to OUTRAGE 22 from OUTRAGE 17

Postby Outrage_Sage » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:15 am

For three years I have owned a 1994 OUTRAGE 17 with a Yamaha F115 engine.

outrage17_.jpg
Fig. 1. A 1994 OUTRAGE 17.
outrage17_.jpg (84.52 KiB) Viewed 2129 times

[Moderator's note: when taking a photograph of an object that is longer than it is tall, hold your camera in the landscape format. In the photo above the camera was held in the portrait format, and most of the picture was sky and water. Note that the photograph crops off the bow of the boat. When showing a boat in profile, the entire boat should be included.]

I plan on moving to an OUTRAGE 22.

I often am angling with just me in the boat, and I like the center console layout. It allows me to get to any part of the boat and back to the helm almost instantly.

jimh

Re: Moving to OUTRAGE 22 from OUTRAGE 17

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:19 am

The OUTRAGE 17 is a very popular model. Should you decide to sell the 1994 OUTRAGE 17, I anticipate there will be many interested buyers for it. The OUTRAGE 17 embodies many great features, and I think it one of the best small Boston Whaler center consoles ever made. Its use of a V-hull design and internal fuel tank move it ahead of the MONTAUK 17.

Regarding the classic OUTRAGE 22, the original boats had a very open transom with only a small sink-type engine splash well. After c.1990, the liner mold was changed to use a full-width engine splash well.

More information about the OUTRAGE 22 in the REFERENCE section article:

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/22Outrage/

Most OUTRAGE 22 boats are rigged with at least a 150-HP engine, and often with engines of 200-HP or 225-HP.

Another consideration with the larger OUTRAGE 22 is the trailer and the greater towed weight compared to the OUTRAGE 17. Most OUTRAGE 22 boats will be towed with a tandem-axle trailer with brakes. The weight of the boat and trailer will probably be over 4,000-lbs, so the towing vehicle will need a substantially higher towing capacity than was needed for the OUTRAGE 17 boat.

Having towed a 22-foot hull for two decades using vehicles rated at 7,000-lbs and 7,200-lbs towing capacity, I would recommend that capacity as the minimum tow rating, particularly if you plan to tow the boat on the highway at highway speeds for long distances and long stretches of time, and in any sort of terrain with long uphill grades.