Identify Model From Picture; Appraise Boat From Picture

A conversation among Whalers
larsdj

Identify Model From Picture; Appraise Boat From Picture

Postby larsdj » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:01 am

From the three illustrations below, identify the model of the Boston Whaler boat.

I think the boat is a 13 SPORT with a Sourpuss seat option.

Capture1.JPG
Fig. 1. A boat to be identified and appraised in value.
Capture1.JPG (122.38 KiB) Viewed 2622 times

Capture3.JPG
Fig. 2. A boat to be identified and appraised in value.
Capture3.JPG (61.75 KiB) Viewed 2622 times

Capture4.JPG
Fig. 3. A boat to be identified and appraised in value.
Capture4.JPG (40.22 KiB) Viewed 2622 times

From the three illustrations, assess the value of the Boston Whaler boat in terms of a fair price you would pay for it.

Jefecinco

Re:Identify Model From Picture; Appraise Boat From Picture

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:03 am

[The boat] may be SUPER SPORT in good condition with modern four-stroke-power-cycle engine.

The engine is not clearly visible but could be a 40-HP engine.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico in the USA, the boat shown $8,000 USD assuming it comes with a trailer in good condition.
Butch

jimh

Re: Identify Model From Picture; Appraise Boat From Picture

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:29 pm

The boat seen in Figure 1 looks like completely different boat from the boat seen in Figure 2 and Figure 3.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:47 pm

I think Fig. 1 and Fig 3. are the same.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:02 am

PHOTOGRAPHS

This thread is really an eye test. I do agree the odd railing configuration is the same in all three photos. Maybe it’s the same boat in all three views. If the boats are all the same, Figure 1's photo must have been taken under completely different lighting conditions. In Figure 1 the hull color is markedly different from Figures 2 and 3.

IDENTIFICATION
The hull looks like a 13-footer, a smirked hull with a 20-inch transom height. The interior wooden components don't look quite like a SUPER SPORT model. The railing is unusual, but I think it has been seen before in the SOURPUSS, but usually with the steering wheel on centerline.

VALUE
Figure 1 shows the engine is too heavy, which reduces value (for me). Also, the appraisal would have been higher if you had NOT shown that photograph with the static trim so high in the bow and so low in the stern.

There are no seat cushions. If I were to buy this boat, the first thing I would have to do is have seat cushions made. You cannot sit on a bare wood thwart seat for very long unless you are under 30-years-old.

Those large hull registration numbers suggest the boat in not in the USA or Canada. Appraisal in a foreign country is impossible. I can only offer what I think the boat might sell for in the midwest of the USA.

GUESS-ESTIMATE
I don’t know what decent 13-footer are selling for these days in the USA Midwest, maybe $4,500. With a modern 40-HP engine, maybe $6,000. If there is a trailer included, add $500 to the appraisal. If everything is perfect, add more, maybe $7,000 total. If the buyer loves the boat just like it sits, maybe even higher. Asking price will affect the time-to-sell. If you want to get the most possible value, you will have to wait for the right buyer to appear. The higher the asking price, the longer to sell.

A better method: search on-line used boat sales websites, particularly if not in the USA, so see similar Boston Whaler boats being offered and sold.

ASIDE: back in the 1990’s you could find 13-footers for sale for $1,300 in the Great Lakes areas.

larsdj

Postby larsdj » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:36 am

Thanks all. I can assure you it's the same boat in all pictures.

I am being thrown off by the the Sourpuss rail used with a normal Sport wood interior, and also having a wooden backrest and some kind of storage.

The boat is in the Netherlands. I am going to go have a look next week. To tell from the pictures what state the boat is in has been difficult.