2005 DAUNTLESS 16

A conversation among Whalers
Firefly28

2005 DAUNTLESS 16

Postby Firefly28 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:08 pm

I may buy a 2005 DAUNTLESS 15 with a Mercury 155-HP four-stroke-power-cycle on a Shorelandr trailer. This would be my first Boston Whaler boat. I have not seen the boat in person. The original for-sale listing is very simple. The boat cushions and cooler are not shown in photographs, and I suspect they may be missing. This boat has been used on inland lakes, where I also intend to use it

Q1: other than obvious damage to the hull and for problems with the engine running properly, what are KEY items to ask about before deciding to buy a used Boston Whaler boat?

Q2: what questions should I ask [to the seller]?

I hope this inquiry is in the right place.

jimh

Re: 2005 DAUNTLESS 16

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:34 am

Firefly28 wrote:Q1: other than obvious damage to the hull and for problems with the engine running properly, what are KEY items to ask about before deciding to buy a used Boston Whaler boat?
For general advice on buying a used Boston Whaler boat, see my article in the REFERENCE section on this topic:

Buying Classic Boston Whaler Boats
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/buying.html

A model year 2005 boat is relatively new in terms of used Boston Whaler boats, and there is no reason why the boat should not be in excellent condition, as long as it has been properly cared for. It is also common for boat that has been in use for 18 years to have a few minor scratches in the hull from normal use, for example, from a mysterious encounter with a dock piling or seawall. But these beauty marks should be minor and not consist of more than two or three at most.

An in-person inspection should give you an impression of how the boat has been cared for. Proper care means the gel coat has no oxidation, has a nice luster, and is coated with a marine wax so the surface easily sheds water and dirt.

The 115-HP engine was the optional engine, and the extra horsepower is probably appropriate, as this is a relatively heavy 16-foot boat.

You are buying at the end-of-season period, so the seller is probably hoping to avoid storage fees and another year of age on the boat before it is sold. This may be in your favor regarding price and negotiation. However, as a general rule, any used Boston Whaler boat that is in very good condition, has a properly running engine, and a road worthy trailer, will attract buyers. If you like the boat and the price is favorable, do not hesitate; often the first real buyer with cash in hand to see a really nice used Boston Whaler boat will become the new owner.

Regarding the c.2005 Mercury 115-HP engine, I believe that in that epoch Mercury had not yet introduced their own four-stroke-power-cycle engines, and they were getting the engine powerhead from Yamaha. I also think the 115-HP engine used simple throttle-body fuel injection, which often gives more reliable starting and running than engines using multiple carburetors. On that basis, I would as the seller if the engine has carburetors or throttle-body fuel injectors.

Do not overlook the trailer condition. If the trailer has only been used to store the boat in the offseason, it may not be particularly road-ready. If the boat was used in freshwater, the trailer condition should be decent, but look at the tires and wheel bearings. Trailers that are only used twice a year (to put the boat in the water in Spring and take it out in Fall) are prone to NOT being ready for a 200-mile highway tow.

A good way to undertake the first visual inspection of the boat is to arrive in a vehicle that is capable of trailering the boat home immediately, so find out the trailer hitch ball size and trailer wiring connector; have your towing vehicle ready to hook up and drive away. Just making these inquiries will signal to the seller that you are a serious buyer.

Be certain the seller has a clear title to the boat, the trailer, and in some states to the outboard engine. Conduct the first inspection meeting at a time and place where the boat can be put in the water, the engine started, and if possible allow for a short test ride.

If the seller has outstanding loans, it is best to conduct the initial meeting on a weekday and early in the day. In that way, if there were any liens, the seller and you can visit the bank or lending organization and remove them.

Again, if you really want this boat, be ready to buy it before someone else does.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:55 am

Regarding a missing cooler: this is not a deal breaker. Typically the cooler would have been a standard size IGLOO marine model, and these are generally very available for around $100. If there are no deck mounted cooler chocks, there probably was never a cooler on the boat. If you want a cooler you can fit any size cooler you like and install the appropriate deck-fastened cooler chocks to hold it in place.

Regarding missing upholstered seat cushions: this is a more serious omission, as having replacement seat cushions made to fit the boat could be expensive, which by that I mean many hundreds of dollars depending on number and size.

Regarding where to get replacement seat cushions of OEM quality for a Boston Whaler boat, see the article in REFERENCE on preferred vendors:

Original Equipment Manufacturers and
Recommended Vendors

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/OEM.html#upholstery

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:04 am

Regarding where to get advice on buying a used Boston Whaler boat: you are in the right place.