The Future of Boating According to Brunswick

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

The Future of Boating According to Brunswick

Postby jimh » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:35 am

In the thread "Boston Whaler Leaders" (pinned above) there is a quote from the CEO of Brunswick, Dave Foulkes, in which he mentions Brunswick's "industry-defining ACES strategy."

When recently re-reading that thread, I had no idea what an ACES strategy was. Upon some further research, I found that the acronym ACES as used by Brunswick refers to:

• Autonomy and Assistance
  • Connectivity
  • Electrification
  • Shared Access

The objective of such a strategy is also cited: "Our objective is to elevate and simplify boating across proficiency levels to promote an engaging, confidence-inspiring[,] and safe experience on the water."

Cf.: https://www.brunswick.com/our-company/s ... the-future

I consider myself rather fluent in speaking and writing the English language, but when it comes to corporate-speak, I am often at a loss to understand what is being said. After pondering the above comments for a while, I believe I can translate the word salad into plain speaking.

The terms "Autonomy and Assistance" refer to the boat becoming able to perform certain functions of its control or navigation itself, that is, to operate autonomously. For example, the inclusion of features like automatic trim control or auto-piloting are elements of autonomy. Assistance refers to helping the operator of the boat while underway. Providing navigation displays, depth sounders, service reminders will assist the operation. Incorporating assistance can also occur with mechanical arrangements, such as electrically opening hatches, windows, shades, and anchoring gear.

"Connectivity" must refer to two realms: connections between devices on the boat itself on local area networks, and connections of the boat to remote networks, line the global internet. A "connected" boat may be a boat that maintains an internet connection at all times, even when not in use. The boat might alert the owner that it has unexpectedly been moved, or that the ambient temperature is dangerously high.

"Electrification" must refer to the replacement of a internal combustion engines with electric motors, which are powered from a storage battery. For marine propulsion, particularly at any speed above the hull displacement speed, this seems rather inappropriate. The power needed to maintain a boat on plane is enormously larger than the power needed to maintain an automobile traveling on level ground. A boat on plane is continually accelerating to pushing its hull weight up hill, and the power needed to achieve this is much higher than needed to maintain speed on level ground with an electric vehicle or even an electric train. Unless there is significant breakthrough the ability to store electrical energy in a battery, building an electric boat that can operate at planing speeds for several hours will remain an elusive goal.

A further problem for electrically-powered boats is the recharging of their battery. There is a fundamental problem: water and electricity do not mix. Batteries capable of significant power delivery are often constructed with cells in series and operating at rather high voltages, perhaps 400-Volts to 800-Volts. Recharging those cells requires charging currents supplied at similar voltages. To make safe the handling cables with 400-Volts DC around water is not something trivial.

Finally, "Shared Access" is code for the end of individual ownership of boats. The cost of new, larger recreational boats has become astonishingly high. Many not-particularly-big Boston Whaler boats are now priced at over $100,000, and some larger ones at many hundreds of thousands of dollars or even a million dollars. The market of prospective customers who can afford boats at those prices is as correspondingly small as the prices are large. The concept of sharing access is already underway at Brunswick, embodied by their FREEDOM BOAT CLUB operation. The actual time that an individually-owned boat is utilized for recreation is typically quite limited, perhaps not more than 50-hours in a year. Costs for renting slips, hauling out, winter storage, and similar annual services are increasing. Participating in a "boat club" with shared access is one way for the cost of ownership of really expensive new boats to be transferred to multiple users of the boat. It is also a good way to insure that really expensive boats can continue to be made and sold, if even by the boat builder to his own parent corporation.

Looking at the ACES strategy in this manner makes it sound like something TESLA has been saying. TESLA is attempting to produce autonomous vehicles, that are always connected to the internet, that run completely on electrical power from storage batteries, and can be shared to reduce the cost of ownership (in the case of individually owned vehicles by letting your autonomous vehicle act as an autonomous taxi when you do not need it yourself).

The curious aspect of the shared access in the case of Brunswick is that they own the Freedom Boat Club, so they are essentially buying boats from themselves, and then renting them out to customers for limited use. TESLA, on the other hand, seem to be promoting the idea of shared access as method for individual owners of an electric vehicle to defray the cost of ownership by acting as a ride-share service.

I think Brunswick should plan for the future in a different way, planning more like TESLA does. TESLA is expecting to be able to REDUCE the cost of electric vehicles to much more affordable prices (like $25,000) than they are currently at (more like $75,000), and to manufacture those vehicles with never seen before methods of mass production that will allow reduced costs, probably particularly reduced labor costs achieved with excellent design and sophisticated manufacturing methods.

GoldenDaze

Re: The Future of Boating According to Brunswick

Postby GoldenDaze » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:39 am

As a software engineer, I would generally be considered a "technology guy." But I really have very little use for connectivity on my boat. Sure it's nice to have the chartplotter connected to the VHF and it could be nice to have electronic grades that actually tell me something, but I don't see a lot of need for OTA updates and such.

I like the idea of electric propulsion. In fact I just bought an electric Volkswagen id.4. We like it, but it wouldn't be my only car. Overall it gets about 3.4 miles/kWh. If we assume we're cruising at 60 mph, it's using about 18 kW or 25-HP. It has an 82 kWh battery, and while I don't know how much it weighs, let's assume we could fit it in my 160 Dauntless (making up for the weight with a much lighter electric motor).

The problem is, I cruise at about half throttle, so let's say 50-HP or 36 kW. My cruising duration would about 2 hours, or 50 miles, with a 10-hour recharge with a 50-Amperer (really about 35 Amperes used). That's really not good enough. But if you could increase battery performance by two or three times--which may not be unreasonable in the next few years--then maybe you could start to look practical for a lot of uses. Charge duration is still a problem, as is Jim's note about 800-1000 V electrical systems on the water.

Still, electric propulsion is better in boats than in aviation, which needs at least a ten-times improvement in battery performance to be generally practical.

Wow, this got long. If you read all the way to here, I owe you a beer.

-Bob
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

jimh

Re: The Future of Boating According to Brunswick

Postby jimh » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:13 pm

There must be some grant money going into electrification of boats, or at least that is my deduction from seeing the installation of a very large, very powerful boat charging facility at the local marina in tiny Northport, Michigan. I asked the harbor master who was paying for the installation, and he indicated it was NOT paid for by the village that owns and runs the marina, but by some sort of outside funding source--I forget exactly what agency or company. That charging station was installed in Spring 2023. As far as I know, it is still awaiting its first boat and first paying customer.

The charging station was installed as part of a significant upgrade of the marina electrical system on the main dock (which includes the fuel dock), which was done essentially to get the electrical conduits above the recent (2022) high water mark that had put some of them under water. The refurbishment of the dock was part of a very large expenditure on marina improvements, including an attempt to stop the parking lot from being flooded by Lake Michigan at high water levels.

boatChargingStationMay2023NorthportMI.jpeg
Fig. 1. A charging station for boats with electric propulsion motors, located in Northport, Michigan, and installed in May 2023.
boatChargingStationMay2023NorthportMI.jpeg (55 KiB) Viewed 707 times

Although hard to read in the illustration above, the charging station include a URL:

http://aqua-superpower.com

According to their website, there is another charging station installed across Grand Traverse Bay, about 20-miles away at Elk Rapids. I suspect that may be because the range of the typical present-day electric boat is probably not more than 20-miles. For more charging locations see

https://www.aqua-superpower.com/explore-network/

ASIDE: Bob--it is almost 4 p.m., so my regular afternoon IPA beer will be dedicated to you and your interesting comments on "the future of boating." Don't worry about having written a reply too long. I do not eschew prolixity.