Plans for 1984 SPORT 15 Modifications to the Interior

A conversation among Whalers
tree_top_flyer

Plans for 1984 SPORT 15 Modifications to the Interior

Postby tree_top_flyer » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:28 am

I [have] an 1984 SPORT [presumed to be a SPORT 15 because this post was appended to another discussion in which another participant had initiated a discussion about his SPORT 15]. [This article has been moved to its own thread so as not to hijack the original thread from the other fellow who is talking about his SPORT 15 boat.]

The [condition of the] interior [of my 1984 SPORT 15 boat] was worse-for-wear, so [I] pulled out the interior.

I re-painted the hull [of the 1985 SPORT], both on the [inboard] and the [outboard] sides of the hull.

The side [console] [condition] was bad.

The wood supports on the inside of the fiberglass were rotten. To sand the wood supports on the inside of the fiberglass was impossible.

I did not want to sand and clean out the inside fiberglass supports only to just to re-epoxy the supports again.

To build a new [unclear] is going to take less time [than to accomplish something else unspecified].

I am designing a center with a lean seat.

I hate sitting in a flat hull [such as this 1984 SPORT 15 hull]. I have become accustomed to standing up in my [SAKONNET 17].

I'm going to copy the center with a lean seat of my SAKONNET 17 for the battery and the fuel.

In my [SAKONNET 17 boat] there is a channel for controls and fuel.

I have a few drawings. I could post the few drawings I have later.

I want [something referred to as "it" to be] more narrow than the original [in order to allow me to ] get around to the bow.

Also, I am going to put a bench seat [in the bow].

I am not going to bolt-down the [new console that I am designing and have not yet built] until [I can float the boat and move the console position to] balance out [some other unspecified weight in the boat].

I will look at the wood locating diagram to see [how to fit the new console after I design and build it] onto the 15-foot hull.

My demond of keeping [the 1984 SPORT 15 boat] uncomfortable and original or modifying and new, and useable.

ASIDE ON DIFFERENT TOPIC
Also, I plan to re-power [the 1984 SPORT 15] with a SUZUKI engine with 30-HP. [The SUZUKI engine with 30-HP will be] nice and light.

jimh

Re: Plans for SPORT 15 Modifications to the Interior

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:20 pm

tree_top_flyer wrote:My demond of keeping [the 1984 SPORT 15 boat] uncomfortable and original or modifying and new, and useable.
This comment is not clear. You probably need to review what you were trying to say and reply with something more easily understood.

Regarding the interior of a SPORT 15, almost everyone has implemented some modification to the interior seating of a SPORT 15 boat. The original side console and flat thwart seats are not very comfortable, but the boat has such a great hull design that everyone wants to use the boat for longer periods of time on the water than their butt can tolerate sitting on a thwart seat with no back rest.

As a general rule, if a modification is to be made to a classic Boston Whaler boat like a SPORT 15, the design and construction of the modification must be done to a high level, as otherwise the modification may not be particularly viewed as a great improvement.

When your future plans are realized and the boat has been modified, I am sure readers will be interested to see photographs and learn more details of the several new elements in the boat interior that were created and installed.

porthole

Re: Plans for 1984 SPORT 15 Modifications to the Interior

Postby porthole » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:18 am

ASIDE ON NEW TOPIC OF RE-POWERING
tree_top_flyer wrote:...I plan to re-power [the 1984 SPORT 15]
I had a CENTER CONSOLE 15 that I re-powered with a HONDA BF50. Although the HONDA outboard was super economical, ran with low noise, and didn't stink, the boat was under-powered. The HONDA was a great overall upgrade but disappointing with boat speed, both then the boat was loaded or [not very] loaded.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Re: Plans for 1984 SPORT 15 Modifications to the Interior

Postby jimh » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:55 pm

ASIDE ON NEW TOPIC OF RE-POWERING
I had a 1976 SPORT 15 with a 50-HP engine. It was very fun to drive. With 30-HP I don't think the boat would be nearly as fun to operate.