Appraisal: 16-footer with 2004 Yamaha 60-HP and Aluminum Trailer

For Boston Whaler boats or related gear
yayboats

Appraisal: 16-footer with 2004 Yamaha 60-HP and Aluminum Trailer

Postby yayboats » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:06 pm

Hi all. This is my first post here. I am seeking an appraisal for my project boat. I'd really like to restore and keep it, but it may need to be sold.

whaler1.JPG
whaler1.JPG (195.14 KiB) Viewed 945 times

whaler2.JPG
whaler2.JPG (181.2 KiB) Viewed 945 times

whaler3.JPG
whaler3.JPG (155.09 KiB) Viewed 945 times

The hull is a 1972 16-footer with an aftermarket center console and aftermarket pedestal seats. Going by some filled-in screw holes in the console area, it may have been a Nauset, but I have no idea. The hull stencil number is 3A4517.

The console has an aluminum gas tank inside, with a filler cap on the port side. The battery is loose in the stern, with a terminal strip on the port stern rail. There are navigation lamps, side rails, and a bow pulpit.

The gel coat layer is original, worn, and crazed inside and out, but there is no damage. There's no squishiness anywhere, and with a hammer test it seems good everywhere. With the bow propped up, no water has run out at all. To me it seems like a solid hull in need of cosmetic restoration, plus whatever anyone wants to add.

The engine is a 2004 Yamaha 60 TLR (2-stroke), with power tilt and trim that works. Allegedly it runs well, but I haven't started it.

Trailer is single axle, aluminum, and roadworthy.

My plan was to sand, fair, and paint inside and out, patch the weird hole in the front of the console and re-use it, and move the battery inside if it will fit. Then address the seating. The idea was to keep it simple, cheap, and lightweight for a 60-HP boat.

I have white cushions for the pedestal seats and the bow area. Also a cheap bimini with an aluminum frame.

The red fuel tank pictured is junk, already discarded. Sorry for the dirt. I can clean up and even pressure wash this week, and update the pictures.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I am in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

Phil T

Re: Appraisal: 16-footer with 2004 Yamaha 60-HP and Aluminum Trailer

Postby Phil T » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:52 pm

Without knowing the condition of the motor, my appraisal would be $3,000 to $5,000, depending on location.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

yayboats

Postby yayboats » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:04 pm

Thanks Phil

Location is Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:16 am

You should thoroughly clean that boat before you let any buyer see it. The dismal appearance seen in the. photographs only reduces the possible value of the boat and raises suspicion about the integrity of the boat as well as the integrity of the seller.

Your comments about the lack of knowledge about the engine condition suggest you just bought the boat. This is also a drawback, as you do not have much--if any--history with the boat to relay to a buyer about how the boat was used, maintained, and stored.

The stencil number you cite, 3A4517 seems more like a 1971 production epoch.

From the REFERENCE section article on the 16-foot hull:

1970...........3A1301 thru 3A4100
1971...........3A4101 thru 3A5200 <--- 3A4517 fits in this range
1972...........3A5201 thru 3A6700

Cf: https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/16-17/

If the stencil number list were just for year of production--the source of this information never defined this element of the dating--the boat may have been made after June or July of 1971 as a 1972 model-year boat.

The federal regulations that required a federal hull identification number did not take effect until after November 1972. This suggests the boat may not have ever been assigned a federal hull identification number. Unless the boat happens to have a federal hull identification tag that is intact and legible, I don't see a definitive method to resolved the model year of the boat, other than the hull stencil number, which points to 1971.

What is the basis for declaration as a 1972 model?

As for an appraisal of value, much of the value depends on the engine condition, which is much newer than the hull. If the engine is in good repair, starts easily, runs will, and cosmetically is decent, it will impart a lot of value to the bundle of boat-engine-trailer, perhaps $1,000. The trailer--assuming it is also much newer than the hull--is also a potential asset, adding more value, perhaps $500. So we have $1,500 in engine and trailer, if they are in very good condition

The hull seems to have been stripped of all original interior components, which significantly reduces its value as a Boston Whaler boat. As a sound, open, 16-foot skiff that was made more than 50-years-ago, the hull value is not particularly great.The boat being a Boston Whaler is certainly going to add some value, but you will need a buyer who has similar expectations as you did, that is, a buyer who wants a simple 16-foot skiff at a rather low cost, and not a buyer who wants to own a classic Boston Whaler 16-foot that is intact, has a known history, and has been well maintained, and is willing to pay a premium.

Comparing to Phil's appraisal, if the hull has $1,500 value, then $3,000 if a reasonable assessment. To get to $5,000 the hull value must rise to $3,500. That seems a bit of a stretch, but scarcity of such hulls in some areas could drive the value up that high.

yayboats

Postby yayboats » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:21 pm

Jim, and Phil--Thanks so much.

I took the 1972 model year as listed on the boat title.

BACK STORY
I've actually had the boat about 18 months. It was to be last winter's project, but I got too busy with work, and haven't had the time to do anything. I think the engine is fine, but I won't know until I try to start it. The case is faded, but I was glad to find the Yamaha paint color and decals are available. I'd love to keep the boat, but I don't have time for the project.