220 Dauntless T-Top

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
jklaiber1

220 Dauntless T-Top

Postby jklaiber1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:41 am

Hello. I may buy a newer Boston Whaler boat. I have found a 2007 220 Dauntless that seems to be pretty nice. However it does not have a T-top. I was hoping to get something in the 20 to 24-feet range with a four-stroke-power-cycle engine and T-top.

Did [the 2007 220 DAUNTLESS] boat have the option for a T-top[?]

Would it be possible to add one?

Any idea what the costs would be?

Any help you could provide would be great.

Thanks

jimh

Re: 220 Dauntless T-Top

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:58 am

In my understanding, Boston Whaler boats that have T-tops have been very carefully engineered for the stresses that attachment off the T-top will cause on the hull, and the attachment points have been appropriately chosen and reinforced. What is not known to me is how Boston Whaler would have fabricated a hull that was not going to get a T-top option when finished. If all hulls were fabricated with the necessary reinforcements in them for attachment of a T-top, then it would be reasonable to infer that a 220 DAUNTLESS that did not originally have a T-top could be fitted with one.

A second concern is the availability of the OEM T-top. Again, my understanding is that Boston Whaler T-tops were also designed and engineered very carefully to have appropriate strength and flexibility so that when attached to a hull the T-top would not be stiffer than the hull or vice versa.

I believe the best answers to your questions will be given by Boston Whaler customer service. They can tell you if the option was available, if a boat without the option would have been fabricated in the necessary manner with appropriate reinforcements, and if the OEM T-top is available as a separate item to be installed by the customer.

In general, you will probably be better served if you look only at boats that have a factory-installed OEM T-top. Re-fitting a boat with a T-top where the boat was not originally designed for that particular top structure can be difficult and may produce unsatisfactory results. Wind loading from a T-top can be very substantial.

Phil T

Re: 220 Dauntless T-Top

Postby Phil T » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:52 pm

There was an optional T-Top.

You can see it's design and part # from the Resources Section of http://www.BostonWhaler.com. Specifically, it is sheet 4 of 5, Final Assembly and Options, 2007 Outrage 220

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat-ownership/resources/

It is feasible to add a t-top after original manufacture.

I would use the design drawings when you contact t-top fabricators in your area. A basic t-top could run 4-6k, not including installation and options.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003