Source for Fiberglass Forward Hatch for [1986] SUPER SPORT

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
SSjonny

Source for Fiberglass Forward Hatch for [1986] SUPER SPORT

Postby SSjonny » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:11 pm

In the process of restoring a 1986 SUPER SPORT. I'm a fly fisherman and would like to source a fiberglass anchor hatch for my boat as I prefer it for the bow area that will double as a casting platform. Appreciate any leads. Thanks--Jon

BobL

Re: Source for Fiberglass Forward Hatch for [1986] SUPER SPORT

Postby BobL » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:53 pm

You might get better leads on a fiberglass hatch if you specify whether your 1986 Super Sport is a 13’, 15’ or 17’ Boston Whaler. If you don’t find a ready-made hatch, you can use your mahogany hatch as a template to cut out a marine plywood hatch that can be covered with resin and fiberglass cloth. Good luck in your search.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:35 am

I don't see any evidence that in the epoch c.1986 Boston Whaler made a laminated fiberglass forward hatch cover for their various SUPER SPORT models. They did appear to use a fiberglass forward hatch cover on the SUPER SPORT LIMITED models.

In general, Boston Whaler only maintains the molds for laminated hull components for the duration of the warranty period. I don't think hatch covers are given a ten-year warranty like a hull. I seriously doubt Boston Whaler could supply a molded and laminated hatch cover now for your boat. And I cannot imagine there would be an aftermarket source of a laminated and molded fiberglass hatch cover of a c.1986 Boston Whaler.

As suggested by BobL, it ought to be possible to make a fiberglass laminated (but not molded) hatch cover by covering some marine plywood core material.

[This thread has been moved from MARKETPLACE because the topic solicits discussion. MARKETPLACE is not for discussions.]

skred

Postby skred » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:19 am

I speculate that a replacement hatch cover might be fashioned from a piece of Starboard.