13 Dauntless Steering Replacement

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Buoy

13 Dauntless Steering Replacement

Postby Buoy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi all. The steering wheel snapped off the [helm] as I was pulling away from the dock today, I guess it's pretty funny since I was at my dock and no one was hurt ;-)

So I need to replace the steering system. Please weigh in if you know what steering system Boston Whaler used for the 1995 13' Dauntless and any options for replacement.

As always, thanks very much.
Last edited by Buoy on Tue May 02, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Re: 13 Dauntless Steering Column Replacement

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:09 am

The mechanical steering was probably a Teleflex helm. That brand is now called Seastar Solutions. There are many choices in their mechanical cable steering helms.

When you remove the helm you should see identifying marks that will inform on the particular model.

Buoy

Re: 13 Dauntless Steering Replacement

Postby Buoy » Mon May 01, 2017 5:30 pm

Thanks Jim. I did remove the helm and did not see any identifying marks indicating the model, it does state:

- Warning: Dissassembly of this unit can lead to steering failure, replace complete unit, and
- MFG by Teleflex Inc, USA, and
-Patent No. 5105xxxx

I took pictures and sent to SeaStar, however the customer service rep stated that the individual qualified to determine the model of the helm is out of the office and may be back tomorrow.

I was unable to e-mail the images directly to the rep with whom I was speaking because he does not have access to e-mail, so I did send the images to the qualified rep in hopes for a response tomorrow. Thanks again.
Last edited by Buoy on Tue May 02, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Mon May 01, 2017 11:55 pm

I realize that yours is a pretty small boat, but you might consider replacing the whole steering system with a BayStar hydraulic system. I made the switch two years ago on my 160 Dauntless and it has really been very nice.
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue May 02, 2017 7:09 am

Many owners replace their steering system with a Teleflex/Seastar No Feedback(NFB) helm and cable steering. The added feature is when you let go of the wheel, it does not move as would a totally manual steering setup.

Personally, I like mechanical steering rather than hydraulic due to less maintenance and potential for failure. Sorry Bob.

The part # of the cable is stamped on the sheath. The last 2 digits are the length.

Review
4.2 turns NFB - http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/mechanical-steering/nfb-4-2-rotary-steering/.
3 turns Big T - http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/mechanical-steering/big-t-rotary-steering/

Prices vary considerably so shop the net. Defender, MarineParts, JamestownDistributors, and etc.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Buoy

Postby Buoy » Tue May 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks guys. I called Whaler today and was fortunate enough to get Chuck Bennet who informed me that the existing system is the Teleflex No Feedback Helm part # SH-4910.

I then e-mailed SeaStar and they provided me the replacement, part number SHT91526P if I opt for the tilt steering.

I have no reason to believe that the steering cable is bad but wonder whether I should replace it from a maintenance perspective?

And thanks for the list of distributors.