Saddle Tank Fuel Intake

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
zchareas

Saddle Tank Fuel Intake

Postby zchareas » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:09 am

Hey Everyone,

First time posting here. Hope someone has some insight into my situation.

We recently purchased a restored 21' Outrage. One of the upgrades that was done was the addition of two saddle tanks (port and starboard). We have been on the water with her for about 2 months and the port tank just ran out of fuel. No big deal, switch the intake on the fuel filter and off we went.

When trying to add fuel to the port tank it overflows quickly. The only way I can get fuel into it is by pouring it in very slowly. There were bubbles coming up as the fuel was (slowly) being added. The intake is at an angle so I cannot see down into the tank for any obstructions. Is it an airlock? I'm not the most mechanical person in the world but I'd like to try and solve this myself before bringing into my mechanic. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Qtrmeg

Re: Saddle Tank Fuel Intake

Postby Qtrmeg » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm not familiar with saddle tanks in any way but it sounds like the tank vent is clogged. This is a common problem with in-deck tanks and it might give you something to look at until a saddle tank expert happens by. The experts are here, they just don't stop by every day.

Since your boat has been recently restored I'd inspect all of the fuel & vent lines. Why aren't you using the in-deck tank, does one exist?

jimh

Re: Saddle Tank Fuel Intake concern

Postby jimh » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:34 am

Find the vent for the tank. Maybe a mud wasp built a nest on it and the vent is blocked.