1986 OUTRAGE 18: New Rub Rail Install

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
biggiefl

1986 OUTRAGE 18: New Rub Rail Install

Postby biggiefl » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:15 pm

I just purchased a new Barbour Plastics rubrail for my 1986 OUTRAGE 18. My boat's rub rail receiver track is brittle as heck due to age and needs replacement.

The boat has the OEM black insert now. To do something different, I bought a rub rail with the white insert. I have seen it on the newer models, and the white insert looks fresh and clean--but the newer hulls are white, not tan. I can always use my black one or buy a new insert for $65 to $70 in any color I want, but the white intrigues me.

As many here know I have done quite a few restorations and I have put quite a few different color inserts on them to match the new decals I get from Janis. I have done the black(OEM), dark green, navy blue, red(OEM on certain models), as well as maroon. I think I have to try white.

Has anyone used the white rub rail insert?
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Re: 1986 OUTRAGE 18: New Rub Rail Install

Postby jimh » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:30 pm

My c.1990 Boston Whaler has a rub rail with a black vinyl insert. At the launch ramp I use most of the time the pilings have white fendering. Every time my black rub rail rubs on the white fendering on a piling, it leaves a white mark on the black rub rail. I think switching to white would be an improvement--at least in my case.