1986 SPORT 15 Transom Repair

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
m.mcmahon

1986 SPORT 15 Transom Repair

Postby m.mcmahon » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:24 pm

[This article is moved to REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS for discussion.--jimh]

I own an [1986--always use four digits for years] SPORT 15 and want to restore it. The transom is rotten at the bottom. I noticed this when a brass drain plug was pulled out

I plant to cut the splash well all the way to the top, and then replace the transom with COOSA board instead of the casting it. After installation I will then place back the original splashwell and glass it in. I will pour expanding foam into any area I have removed to provide strength.

Prior to cutting out the transom, there [a similar repair] project I can look at for advice?

jimh

Re: 1986 SPORT 15 Transom Repair

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:26 am

Based on what I have read, a repair of rotted wood in the transom is usually approached from the outboard stern face of the transom, not from the inboard side through the engine splash well.

I do not know of any other project for transom repair that would demonstrate removal of the engine splash well as the means to access the embedded wood in the transom of a SPORT 15 boat.

[I moved this thread to REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS from the INTRODUCTION forum. The INTRODUCTION forum is not a boating forum; it is an introductory forum explaining the forum software. Do not post boating articles to it--jimh]

biggiefl

Re: 1986 SPORT 15 Transom Repair

Postby biggiefl » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:27 am

Agree with Jim. I have never seen a transom tackled from the inside. The other question is how rotted? The bottom by the drain hole does not handle a lot of stress. It might make more sense to put some Git-Rot in there and replace the brass tube. To see how far the rot goes you can drill a few small holes around the area.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).