SAKONNET 16 Navigation Lamps Wires

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
SeaClassic16

SAKONNET 16 Navigation Lamps Wires

Postby SeaClassic16 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:12 pm

I've had a [1960's—always use four digits for years] SAKONNET 16 for a few years. I made a repair [to the navigation lighting, but the repair has] failed. I want to to make a correct repair this time.

I have the standard [white all-round pole-mounted lamp].

What is the correct part to cover the wiring for the [combined sidelight lamp] where the wiring comes out of the hull?

I've seen people a [terminal strip] there .

Can the terminal strip [be left] uncovered?

In the link below you can see the location I ask about:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iY9x57aQuJNgPjB78

jimh

Re: SAKONNET 16 Wiring for Navigation Lighting

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:30 pm

I don’t know what was used originally at that location.

I would mount a small plastic utility box there. Drill a large hole in the bottom of the box to allow the wiring to pass through. Make wiring connections inside the box. Affix box cover to box.

You can buy small plastic utility boxes online, and sometimes they are available in colors; you might find a shade of blue that was close to the gel coat color.

HAMMOND BOX is one possible source. Here is a link to get you started:

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/small-case

superdave_gv

Re: SAKONNET 16 Wiring for Navigation Lighting

Postby superdave_gv » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:08 am

The spot [illustrated above] is where the wiring to the combined sidelight lamp at the bow is laid inside the hull and is connected to a two-pole terminal block. The terminal block took power from surface wiring and connected the stern light. You want something watertight there.

At this boat age most people abandon the wiring laid in the hull and run new wiring in the rub rail under the black [vinyl insert which can be easily temporarily removed]. This method requires drilling through the hull in two places: at stern port and at the bow from the rub rail to the bow light mount. I chose to put the terminal block required just beside the pole lamp mounts and put a stainless vent over the wiring’s port thru hull. Liquid electrical tape is enough for an exposed terminal block. The terminal block can be put on the port side.

ASIDE ON A BIGGER PROJECT: I did a full rewire and installed lamp replacements, a new switch, and new fuse in my 1972 boat. It was easy. A thread and pic collage was posted.

jimh

Re: SAKONNET 16 Navigation Lamp Wires

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:06 am

SeaClassic16 wrote:Can the terminal strip [be left] uncovered?

I don’t recommend leaving electrical terminal strips exposed to weather. My advice to enclose the connections in a weather-tight plastic box reflects that belief. If the boat is used in saltwater then covering electrical connections is even more critical. And NEVER use wire nuts; and NEVER use silicon sealants with marine wiring.

See the FAQ for detailed advice if you decide the original wiring in the hull needs to be abandoned:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q4

The FAQ provides comprehensive answers to frequently asked (or in this case unasked) questions.

There is no mandate to abandon the in-hull lamp circuit if it stills works.