CMC PT 130 Add-On Power Trim-Tilt User Experience

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Shadyops

CMC PT 130 Add-On Power Trim-Tilt User Experience

Postby Shadyops » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:26 pm

I’m in the process of purchasing a 1986 SPORT 15 with an Evinrude 70-HP that does not have power trim. I may add a CMC PT130. Since a CMC PT130 moves back the engine around 6-inches, the moment of the engine will increase. The boat should handle the CMC PT130 just fine.

FOR ANYONE WITH EXPERIENCE WITH THE CMC PT130 : how does it perform? What is the effect on the transom?

Phil T

Re: CMC PT 130 Add-On Power Trim-Tilt User Experience

Postby Phil T » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:09 am

Note that adding setback and moving the engine weight back will increase the hull's tendency to porpoise (bow to oscillate up and down). Consider adding a trim-tilt unit that does not have as much setback or add weights to the bow locker to compensate.

With the additional setback the engine should be remounted higher than it was when on the transom. With 6" of setback the recommendation is for the anti-cavitation plate (just above prop) to be 2-3" above the bottom of the keel.

A review of the archived forum threads, available for keyword searching, reveals many threads with positive comments as well as words of caution on added stern weight and the effect on hull behavior.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/oldForum/
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Try operating the SPORT 15 without adding the power trim to the engine. You may find that power trim is not particularly necessary. I ran my SPORT 15 boat for several years with an engine that had no power trim. One trim setting using the mechanical stop for maximum down trim seemed to work fine.

If you are worried about being able to tilt-up the engine, I believe there are some extension levers that can be fitted to allow a greater advantage for the operator when trying to tilt-up the engine. You might be able to home-brew one. Visit these links to see examples:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Garelick-Eez-In-Outboard-Motor-Tilter-71036/309414482
https://www.overtons.com/dotline-adjustable-outboard-motor-tilter-317303.html

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:30 pm

I put one on my 13' sport which had a 40hp Evinrude. It really increased the performance and the weight/setback was not too bad. I have owned many 15's with 2 not having PTnT. as Jim suggested you can get pretty good performance from a high HP 15 without it. If I lived on a deep lake and only needed to tilt it once a day, it might be OK without. Now my experience with the pT130 is this:

1) They are not initially cheap and parts are expensive if you need to replace the motor, etc.
2) They do not hold up particularly well in salt water and can not easily be bottom painted.
3) They do add weight, setback is not particularly bad for most boats.
4) Again parts are expensive.

Depending on where you live, the season is coming to an end(or starting in FL). I personally can not boat around here without PTnT and hence why I put it on my 13'. I also found a new unit that was "used" for I think $300 in 2006. I would start searching E-Bay and craigslist, etc for a used PTnT assembly from a 3cyl or 4cyl OMC engine which are quite abundant used and a nice one should be around $200-300. You may have to run wires or buy a new harness but it would be the lightest, most simple, and cheapest solution to a non-PTnT engine. The swap is pretty easy if it is not a rust bucket. removal of the engine would make things easier which at around 235lbs (250lbs w/PTnT) should not be hard.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).