Southeast Michigan Repair Shop for Engine Cowling

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Kend

Southeast Michigan Repair Shop for Engine Cowling

Postby Kend » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:24 am

What is the name of a shop in southeastern Michigan that repairs outboard engine cowlings at a fair price?

A 1998 Johnson 90-HP outboard engine cowling has a small nick, needs to be repainted, and needs new decals applied. I already have the decals.

I would like to bring back the the engine to its original state and keep it all-original.

Thanks for help.

jimh

Re: Southeast Michigan Repair Shop for Engine Cowling

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:44 am

Contact an auto body shop that works on Corvette cars for repair of the nick in the cowling.

The OEM paint may still be available from a dealer like Lockeman’s Hardware & Boats in Detroit.

http://www.lockemans.com/

They’ve been in business at the same location for 104-years.

Kend

Postby Kend » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:01 pm

I have tried to find a auto body shop but they either don’t want to bother or it’s just over the top expensive. I thought I may be able to find someone that could do the job a a reasonable cost. I can most likely do it myself but the decals are oem and I will get one shot and don’t want to mess it up. By the way it was Lockemans that rebuilt the 1988 motor.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:53 am

If you can find a local firm that applies advertising "wraps" on vehicles they may have expertise in applying decals. An employee may be willing to apply your decals after hours if the job is too small for the firm or if they are backed up.
Butch

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:39 pm

If it's just a nick, then a little marglass or filler will take care of that, but it cracked, then you'd want to glass it and then fair the surface. Most body shops won't touch small jobs like that as getting the paint and the order of operation is too quick and they fall back on a high price to get it done. Most want to spray in a spray booth and the paints are expensive, but 1,000 times better than the cheap rattle can stuff.

I'm surprised you found an OEM decal as OMC stopped making 1988 decals a very long time ago, so if you purchased at a dealer, I'd be careful since the adhesive may be dried out as the decals have a limited shelf life. Most people go with reproduction decals which can't be told from OEM.

If you were closer I'd tell you to drop it off and I'd do it for you. I've been doing stuff like that for over 30 years. I'm doing three Yamaha engines and their cowlings now, and the prep-work is the same, just shoot with a different paint.

D-

jiwhaler

Postby jiwhaler » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:03 am

dtmackey wrote:IMost body shops won't touch small jobs like that as getting the paint and the order of operation is too quick and they fall back on a high price to get it done.

I absolutely agree with you, small jobs are not beneficial to [auto body shops].