1986 Evinrude 150

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Jcris

1986 Evinrude 150

Postby Jcris » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:50 pm

I've been looking for a boat and came across [a 1986 Evinrude 150 outboard engine]. According to the owner, its powerhead and lower unit have been rebuilt. I will be taking a look at it soon and am wondering:

What should I look for?

I've done some on-line checking which led me to a post by Jimh that was very informative and specific to this motor:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

Although I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to boats I know my way around a wrench and do most of my automotive work. I am 60 years old so I don't get too involved if you take my meaning. I will of course check with whomever did the rebuild on the motor for specifics. I realize not all rebuilds are created equal so I'm very cautious. Maybe overly so.

Please advise me on what things to look for that may guide me toward a good choice.

Thanks,
Jcris

P.S. Hello. First post to the group. I've recently moved to Lakeport , California, which is a stone's throw from Clear Lake. I love to fish so I'm looking to learn this and the local reservoirs in a boat for the first time in my life. I'm very excited at the prospect especially as the rainfall this year has been tremendous . Thank you El Niño !

jimh

Re: 1986 Evinrude 150

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi Chris--here is some advice from another guy who is over 60:

ASSESSING USED OUTBOARD ENGINES
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... Check.html

The "post" you mentioned was not written by me, and it is not a "post." You pointed to a very informative article about the OMC oil-mixing system written by expert Bill Grannis, who has graciously agreed to permit me to reprint it in HTML form on CONTINUOUSWAVE.COM.

conch

Postby conch » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:36 am

After three decades and a rebuild there is a chance that the motor no longer has its VRO system still in use. That is something I would confirm. You might want to rent a boat first at the lake to see what is popular there and how a modern outboard sounds and performs for comparison to boats you are considering buying. A 1986 150hp motor would have a low value even if rebuilt and could become your new hobby instead of fishing. Hopefully you will also be purchasing a Boston Whaler.
Good luck with your search.
Chuck

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:18 pm

I have only old motors, bought used. The only cases where they have required any attention at all besides changing water pumps, which needs to be done on new motors too, has been if I let them sit for months (or more) without "winterizing."

Now, all my motors are designs and brands well known for reliability and longevity, and were built in great numbers.

I have three Evinrude "bubblebacks":
--1975 135-HP
--1993 115-HP
--Frankenstein mix of 70's and 80's parts with port work and Wiseco pistons

I have a 1987 Mercury 2.0L 150-HP

A 1985 Yamaha 40-HP.

And a 2000 Mercury-branded Yamaha carburetor four-stroke-cycle 90-HP. This one needed a professional de-carbon treatment a couple of years ago, but has been fine since.

We don't really have "winter" in southern California and Boulder City, Nevada where my boats are, so I "winterize", by draining the carburetors. I don't know what to say, they always just work. All the time, every time.

Also, depending on your green sensibilities, there's nothing LESS green than replacing a working machine with something new, even if the newer one runs cleaner. That's why "re-use" is the most important item the reduce-reuse-recycle slogan.

-Peter