170 Montauk Adding Electrical Trolling Motor

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Shewillbemine

170 Montauk Adding Electrical Trolling Motor

Postby Shewillbemine » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:02 pm

Hello,

I am in the process of buying my next boat and the 170 Montauk (late year model) is on my list. I'd like to ensure that I don't purchase a boat that will have a difficult time accommodating my equipment needs so I'm asking you good folks for input.

Listed below are my plans for the boat and I'd like to know if this is completely doable or if I'm looking at too much jerry-rigging to make it work. Thank you.

Trolling Motor - I'd like to install a Minn Kota Riptide (apparently it's one of the few that will work with the existing bow rail) with TWO batteries. Is the one place to install these two batteries in the center console? Will they fit without problems?

Trolling Motor Pre-Wiring - I know that the 170 Montauk can be ordered from the factory with pre-wiring but I believe that's also only for a 12 volt connection. Since I plan to use two batteries, is that 12 volt receptacle rendered useless? Would I have to work on a new receptacle anyway?

Onboard Charger - Is there space (again) for an Onboard Charger inside the center console?

I appreciate any input. Thank you.

Marc

Re: 170 Montauk Adding Electrical Trolling Motor

Postby Marc » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:30 pm

Hello. Recently [I] had a Minnkota Riptide bow mounted on my 2013 Montauk 170. The motor is 80-lb thrust with a 60-inch shaft. I don't know what the rail height is on your boat but the motor would not clear the rail on my boat. The tech had to split the rail and install a pinned hinge to allow me to swing a small section of rail inward to deploy the motor. I'm not saying that would be necessary for your boat but it was for mine. I had the quick release mount installed.

Marc

AZdave

Re: 170 Montauk Questions

Postby AZdave » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:50 pm

My 170 Montauk has two batteries in the console. They fit easily.

If you want 24-Volts for the trolling motor, it seems to me that you want three batteries, as the starting battery would be on a different circuit. I'm not sure that three batteries would fit. There is a lot of room on the front surface of the console. There should be no problem mounting an onboard battery charger there. I think there would be enough room or the rear surface as well, especially if you don't have the stereo speakers mounted there.

If you are running 24-Volt to the trolling motor rather than 12-Volts, it seems likely the the current capacity of the wiring would not be exceeded. The outlet is another matter. You will probably need to talk to a dealer.

I mounted the 12-Volt [trolling motor] freshwater version on my 170 Montauk. It did clear the bow rail, and I keep the single battery in the front anchor locker.

jimh

Re: 170 Montauk Adding Electrical Trolling Motor

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:15 am

The best source of information about exactly what facilities you will get when ordering a new Boston Whaler boat will be from the Boston Whaler customer service people. They can tell you exactly what will be provided. There may even be an option for choice of connectors to be installed for the power outlet at the bow for a trolling motor.

If the Boston Whaler 170 MONTAUK boat has been pre-wired for electrical power at the bow suitable for a 12-Volt trolling motor, the power conductors should be suitable for 24-Volts as well. The wire insulation will be sufficient for 24-Volts. The wire current capacity remains the same. You may have to change the connector to one that is appropriate for 24-Volts.

I would hope that a different connector is used for 24-Volt circuits to electric trolling motors compared to the connector used for 12-Volt circuits so there is no chance for confusion about the voltage. Most likely the manufacturer of the 24-Volt trolling motor will have pre-installed a connector on the trolling motor power cables; you will have to provide a mating connector on the boat.

If you need more help with questions about boat electrical wiring, please start a new thread in the SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL forum.