1972 SPORT 15 Holes In Deck

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
jeff98833

1972 SPORT 15 Holes In Deck

Postby jeff98833 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:15 am

I am a new owner of a 1972 SPORT 15. I need advise on repairing the deck. There are numerous holes in the deck that have been plugged by the previous owner over the years. I raised the bow and drilled through deck and tested for moisture. I found the deck to be only moist, and the foam is intact.

I have applying putting low heat to open areas to dry completely.

--Jeff

frontier

Re: 1972 SPORT 15 Holes In Deck

Postby frontier » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:00 pm

Boston Whaler didn't make a 15 footer until 1976.

Are you sure of the year and that it's a Boston Whaler?

What is the HIN number?

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:26 pm

Small diameter holes in the deck of a Boston Whaler boat can just be filled with epoxy resin mixed with a filler, then top coated with gel coat resin to match the original gel coat color of the deck laminate. If an epoxy resin repair is left exposed to sunlight, the color may yellow with exposure to UV radiation from the sun.

If the holes are in areas where the deck has a non-skid pattern, it will be difficult to conceal the repair. If you want to make a repair that better matches the non-skid pattern, then you must make a mold of the non-skid pattern using some suitable resin. Then use the mold of the non-skid to imprint the pattern on your repair areas. This will be a tedious process if there are many small holes. Whether you need a concealed repair is entirely up to you. A slight disruption of the non-skid patter around a small fastener hold is not a significant flaw to have in a boat that is approaching 50-years-old.

If you need advice on making repairs, read the answer to your frequently asked question in the FAQ answer at

Q5: how is damage to a Unibond hull repaired?
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q5

These instructions will give you details on making repairs various types of hull damage.

In some cases, the most expedient repair to a small hole from an old fastener is to just install a new oval head screw and dress washer in the hole.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:11 am

frontier wrote:Boston Whaler didn't make a 15 footer until 1976.
Good point.