MONTAUK Center Console Door Fasteners

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Beerspitnight

MONTAUK Center Console Door Fasteners

Postby Beerspitnight » Fri May 19, 2023 9:42 am

Q1: What are the correct screw fasteners and the correct Nylok locks to use to secure the console access door on a classic MONTAUK 17 center console?

I found a post that stated [the screws to be used were] "#6 flat head Phillips machine screws".

I have found more than one option on-line for purchase of a "#6 flat head Phillips machine screws"'.

The post I found also says the screws that hold the teak strips on top of the access doors are "#10 oval head sheet metal screws".
I have found there are several length options for that screw.

Give me guidance so I can purchase the correct screws and nylock locks.
1989 MONTAUK 17

jimh

Re: MONTAUK Center Console Door Fasteners

Postby jimh » Fri May 19, 2023 11:21 am

If you are looking for Nylok-brand hex elastic stop nuts, then I presume the hinge-to-door fasteners are machine screws. The door would typically have a recess drilled into the wood into which the elastic elastic stop nut will need to fit.

Also, all screw fastener hardware will need to be stainless steel.

The use of #6 screws sounds right for the hinge fasteners. The head of the screw will be an oval head; if that is not easily found then a flat head screw can be substituted.

The length of the screw depends on the thickness of the door and hinge. You should be able to easily estimate that length.

Note that with an elastic stop nut the screw must be threaded into the nut so it fully engages the nylon portion if the nut is to work as intended.

While you can find this hardware at a marine store, you can usually also find it at any large and well stocked hardware store, like an ACE hardware. The stainless steel nuts and bolts are usually in a separate area from the Chinese plated-steel junk.

If you are not sure about the length, just take the hinge and the teak door with you to the hardware store, and try a few different lengths to find the best fit.

Q2: what happened to all the original hardware?

Beerspitnight

Re: MONTAUK Center Console Door Fasteners

Postby Beerspitnight » Fri May 19, 2023 12:01 pm

jimh--thank you very much.

ASIDE: I haven't been on the forum in a while, and I hope you are doing well.
1989 MONTAUK 17