1975 Newport 17 Cap Removal

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
DylanH360

1975 Newport 17 Cap Removal

Postby DylanH360 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:51 pm

[MODERATOR’s NOTE: ALWAYS USE FOUR DIGITS FOR DESIGNATING A YEAR]

Q1: can the cap superstructure on a 1975 NEWPORT 17 be removed without [causing damage that will need to be repaired with] serious fiberglass work?

BACKSTORY
I have a friend [who is offering to sell to me at] a good deal [his 1975 Newport 17]. I enjoy the cleaner looks of the MONTAUK, but—if I can remove the cap—then [buying my friend’s 1975 NEWPORT 17 and removing the cap to convert the boat to a MONTAUK] would be a fun project.

bghaggar

Re: 1975 Newport 17 Cap Removal

Postby bghaggar » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:46 am

I have a NEWTAUK—-a NEWPORT with a center console. The advantage to the Newport cap is that it has lots of storage for fenders. To remove it would require removing the rub rail that probably has lots of rivets in it, then many screws that hold the lower parts of the cap, and then you'd need a MONTAUK console.

Since my NEWTAUK has the console already there is a teak hatch on the starboard side covering the hole that the NEWPORT console was attached to and I assume at least some of the controls went though. I have no idea how many cables, but I suppose technically all of the engine remote controls, the electronics, and even steering could go that through that hole and down the starboard side.

You probably should keep the cap. Then if you want the MONTAUK "look" replace the NEWPORT console with a center console.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:18 pm

I would NOT [remove the cap on a NEWPORT in order to attempt to create a MONTAUK].

The NEWTAUK boats are revered as an improvement to both [NEWPORT and MONTAUK] models. A few dealers offered the NEWTAUK for only a few years.

Some owners converted [NEWPORT models to be NEWTAUK hybrids].
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:07 pm

Filling a hole left by a rivet is not “serious fiberglass work”, but if there are 40 rivets then it will be a lot of repetitive simple work, with a lot of tedious color-matched gel coat resin, fairing, polishing, and buffing.

Once you get the cap off, where will you get an OEM center console, with railings, windshield, trim, doors, and so on?

Once you get the center console, where will you get an OEM reversible pilot seat with Z-legs, teak, OEM railings, and cushions?

Once you get the cockpit turned into a MONTAUK, where will you get all the OEM railings needed on a MONTAUK?

If you want to end up with a MONTAUK, why not buy one of maybe 200,000 used MONTAUK boats, instead of buying one of a maybe a few thousand NEWPORT boats and tearing it apart to try to make a home-brewed sorta MONTAUK assembled from a mishmash of questionable parts?

If I owned a NEWPORT and the buyer told me he was going to tear apart the hull to try to make a MONTAUK, I would not sell the boat to that buyer.