OUTRAGE 25 Stern Swim Ladder

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
bcoastal

OUTRAGE 25 Stern Swim Ladder

Postby bcoastal » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:42 pm

The previous owner of my 1986 Outrage 25 used a hole for the stern towing-lifting eye to install a swim platform.

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 11.37.20 AM.jpg
Fig. 1. A swim platform installed on the Port side of the transom of an OUTRAGE 25. The original Port towing or lifting eye was removed, and its hole in the transom used to attach the swim ladder.
Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 11.37.20 AM.jpg (226.86 KiB) Viewed 1703 times

I plan to re-install the missing towing-lifting eye. I need to figure out best way to go about reusing the swim platform. My kid is interested in tubing; but I also need to secure the boat to trailer [with a tie-down strap].

My options:
  • drill a new hole to install the lifting eye about 3-inches inboard of [its original location];
  • drop the swim platform about 3-inches to 4-inches, and use the original hole for towing eye; or,
  • move the swim platform inboard about 4-inches or 5-inches and use the original hole for towing eye.

jimh

Re: OUTRAGE 25 Stern Swim Ladder

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:45 am

I am guessing the original location for the towing-lifting eye was where the upper rail of the swim ladder is now attached to the transom.

I favor putting the towing-lifting eye back in its original location.

I favor leaving the swim platform where it is because I would not want to repair all of the new holes that now hold the swim ladder. To accomplish that, I would carefully bend the upper railing so it moves outboard just enough to clear the towing eye. Then make one new hole to hold the upper rail of the swim ladder in its new position. You might need to remove the ladder in order to bend the railing with a pipe bender. If the slightly bent upper rail no longer reaches the transom for flush fit, you can use a plastic spacer washer to fill the gap.

Or, if you don’t mind repairing the three holes from the swim ladder that won’t be used, move the swim ladder inboard just enough to clear the restored towing-lifting eye. However, in that location the swim ladder upper rail might be fouling the towing line run to the Port towing eye.

The simplest remedy is just move the hole for the towing eye inboard just enough to clear the upper railing. Before doing that you must check and be certain there is sufficient embedded reinforcement in the transom to support a lifting-towing eye in that more inboard location.

Also, you need to carefully check the path the trailer hold-down strap will take to be sure the path is not obstructed by the swim ladder.

Also, use best quality marine grade stainless steel hardware so you won’t have rust dripping down the transom.

bcoastal

Re: OUTRAGE 25 Stern Swim Ladder

Postby bcoastal » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:22 pm

Good call Jim. I put the tow eye back in its original place and moved the support bar outboard a few inches.