1976 Montauk 17 Sump Pump Location; Chaffing Engine Cables

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
JackC

1976 Montauk 17 Sump Pump Location; Chaffing Engine Cables

Postby JackC » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:39 pm

I would like to install an automatic sump pump in a 1976 MONTAUK. The curved bottom of [the pump I have has a] drain tube [that] makes [this pump] hard to mount. I could not tell from photos online if all [electric sump pump available have drain tubes that] are curved like [the pump I bought].

Q1: on a 1976 MONTAUK what is the best location for a sump pump?

Q2: if the best location is in the [aft cockpit centerline sump], how should the pump be mounted?

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/bCTgDpF

The the outboard rigging is chafing on the lip of the [engine splasw] well [forward] of the engine. The [engine]rigging does not seem long enough to tie to the metal thru hull fitting.

Q3: what can be done to solve the chafing?

jimh

Re: 1976 Montauk 17 Sump Pump Location; Chafing Engine Cables

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:44 pm

Most small centrifugal electric sump pumps have a flat mounting base. They also have an associated mounting plate that will retain the pump in a fixed position. The pump output hose barb is located slightly above the base.

The remedy to your mounting problem is to change to a different pump with the pump base flat and the output hose barb just above the base. Get a pump with internal water sensing; this will eliminate the float switch assembly. There is insufficient room in the aft centerline cockpit sump for both a pump and a float switch.

The aft centerline cockpit sump is the best location on the 16/17-foot hull for locating a sump pump. The exhaust hose of the sump pump should be led aft and over the transom. Do not have the pump exhaust drain into the engine splash well.

jimh

Re: “metal thru hull fitting”

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:46 am

JackC wrote:The [engine] rigging does not seem long enough to tie to the metal thru hull fitting.
Your descrption of the portion of the boat “metal thru hull fitting” is unclear. Perhaps you are trying to refer to a transom-mounted lifting/towing eye. Please explain more clearly.

Generally the compound adjective “through-hull” refers to drains, not to hardware like a towing eye. The towing eye is through-bolted onto the transom. I can’t deduce how the engine rigging would be tied to a through-hull drain.