1986 MONTAUK 17 Wood Locations

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
C-Worthy

1986 MONTAUK 17 Wood Locations

Postby C-Worthy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:54 pm

Q1: is there any embedded wood on a 1986 MONTAUK 17 for cleats to be mounted forward of the transom?.

I am leaning toward mounting the cleats on the inside of the gunwale, leaving the top clear of any extra snags.

Q2: is there reinforcement in the bow area to anchor the bases for a bow railing?

Q3: can a ladder be mounted on the port side of the transom?

ASIDE

Greetings: I have a 1986 Montauk 7 with a 1996 Johnson 115-HP Ocean Runner.

The gel coat has been redone on the hull, the center console, and even inside the anchor-well. Also added were a new rub-rail, and a custom leaning post, which is back to back seating, a d a new “almost matching” Cooler seat with matching upholstery.

I can not take credit for it; a prior owner did all these upgrades, then “life changed in a NY minute” and it became available. I am now a proud owner of this Boston Whaler.

I have read some very intelligent perspectives that are already super useful to me; thank you to this community.

jimh

Re: 1986 MONTAUK 17 Wood Locations

Postby jimh » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:39 pm

For locations for embedded wood see the REFERENCE SECTION article on the 16/17-foot hull:

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/16-17/

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:21 am

It is customary to use the stern eye and the bow norman pin for securing lines.

If you need a midship spring line, you can use one of the vertical rail stanchions.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:19 pm

Re cleats added to the inwale instead of the gunwale: I did exactly that on my SPORT 15:

The mounting screws seemed have good purchase into whatever was below the gel coat and laminate there, but I only used those cleats for temporary mooring, like at a launch ramp courtesy dock or a marina fuel dock, where I would be around the boat while it was moored and it was in a protected location.

If I were going to leave the boat tied to a dock and walk away for several hours or a day or two, I would use lines fastened to the transom towing eyes for mooring.

C-Worthy

Postby C-Worthy » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:31 pm

Holy Cow. Thank you to the Moderator for cleaning up the descriptions of my Q’s and challenges; and the “feedback”.

I grew up using “traditional cleats”; hence wanting that feature: a quick wrap and figure-eight, finished with a locking-loop. It’s encouraging someone else did, in fact, place a cleat on the inner wall of the gunwale. But, I do need to learn how to use the Eye in the transom (effectively) for longer mooring situations.

Thanks for the responses; I am coming unglued to get this finished, and actually fish the boat.

C-Worthy

Re: 1986 MONTAUK 17 Wood Location.

Postby C-Worthy » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:39 pm

I printed the [Wood Locating] drawings showing the layout of all the backing areas. That surely relives some anxiety.

There is a Marine supplier a couple hours south of our location. They have a hundred different Boston Whaler railings—just not marked with model numbers.

That salvage place also has side rails, dive platforms, ladders, T-tops, etc. An adult Toy-story for sure!

I now feel confident to trailer [my boat] down [to the marine surplus store] and spend the day choosing the proper components to finish this trim—out.

Nice Forum; Thanks again.