Corian® and the Classic Whaler

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
msteinkampf

Corian® and the Classic Whaler

Postby msteinkampf » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:56 pm

When I renovated my kitchen several years ago, I kept the old countertops, still in good shape, that had been made from Corian®, a Dupont product manufactured by combining a mineral (aluminum trihydroxide) with an acrylic polymer. The color of my old countertops was “Bisque”, and I think this was the only color available when the countertops were installed in 1987. I have come to realize that this color is a very good match for the Desert Tan gel coat color of my 1990 Montauk 17, and I have used it for several projects on my boat. Here are some examples.

Whaler sump cover.jpg
Figure 1. Whaler sump cover constructed with Corian®
Whaler sump cover.jpg (20.9 KiB) Viewed 2161 times

My Whaler came with a cheesy plastic sump cover that was screwed into the deck. I removed it, filled the screw holes with Loctite Marine epoxy, and installed a sump cover made from Corian® held in place with heavy-duty Velcro. It’s still holding firmly a year later.

Whaler trolling motor mount.jpg
Trolling motor mount milled and thermoformed.
Whaler trolling motor mount.jpg (51.63 KiB) Viewed 2161 times

I occasionally use a trolling motor when fishing, but I didn’t want one permanently installed. I had been using a motor clamped on at the transom, but it sometimes slipped while in use. I fabricated a motor mount by drilling out a piece of Corian® with a Forstner bit the size of the motor clamps. There is a gentle curve on the inside of the transom, so I thermoformed the mount after milling it by placing it in my oven for 40 minutes and then clamping it to the transom before it cooled. The mount has held up nicely, and the trolling motor no longer slips. (You can find the instructions for thermoforming Corian® here: https://casf.com.au/wp-content/uploads/ ... 12-ENG.pdf)

Whaler baitwell covers.jpg
Baitwell covers constructed with Corian®
Whaler baitwell covers.jpg (58.7 KiB) Viewed 2161 times

I wanted a removable circulating baitwell that I could install behind the reversible pilot seat, so I constructed one using a plastic barrel I had on hand, topped with a piece of Corian®. I liked it so much I made another top (patterned after one sold by Boat Outfitters) that fits on a 5-gallon bucket.

I’m using Corian® in applications where others might use a high-density polyethylene product like King StarBoard®, and in my opinion they are interchangeable for some projects. Both can be milled with conventional tools, the colors are similar and are full thickness, both can be thermoformed, and their UV resistance is comparable (I’ve had a piece of Corian® in full sun on a shooting table for several years with the amount of degradation you would expect from gel coat. Dupont does make a UV-resistant version of Corian® marketed for outdoor use, but I doubt that you will encounter it in a kitchen). King StarBoard® is sold with a nonskid pattern, so when I replaced my bow hatch cover, I used King Starboard® instead of Corian®. One advantage of Corian® over King StarBoard® is its ability to accept adhesives – Corian® would probably make a very good transom insert for mounting transducers. And of course, it’s free. My countertop installer told me they usually discard the old Corian® when they are replacing it, but he said that some thrifty souls will dig it out of the countertop dealer’s refuse bin and reuse it.

--M
1990 Montauk 17’ w 1991 Mercury 90 HP outboard
1995 Aquasport Explorer 245 w twin 1995 Yamaha 150 HP outboards

jimh

Re: Corian® and the Classic Whaler

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:16 am

Thanks for the very interesting and quite crafty information on the re-use of Corian.