2016 G2 E-TEC 200 H.O Fuel Priming

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Ridge Runner

2016 G2 E-TEC 200 H.O Fuel Priming

Postby Ridge Runner » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:17 am

On my 2016 210 Montauk I have a 2016 G2 E-TEC 200 H.O. model E200XHAGD.

The fuel pump-reservoir gasket is leaking, and unfortunately the entire pump-reservoir needs to be replaced.

My G2 uses the obsolete Carter #5009838 pump-reservoir which has been replaced with a Walbro pump-reservoir kit #5010690 which cost about $750.

I have the service manual but there is no information about re-priming the fuel system.

Q1: I can just replace pump-reservoir and the fuel system will self-prime?

Q2: do I need the E-TEC G2 diagnostic software to prime the fuel system?

[Two questions (seeking to learn (a) if a particular event has ever occurred prior to today in the history of the world, and (b) to what extent is a particular knowledge is held by all other boaters) have been deleted. Please do not ask survey questions. --Moderator]
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

jimh

Re: 2016 G2 E-TEC 200 H.O Fuel Priming

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:07 am

Ridge Runner wrote:Q1: I can just replace pump-reservoir and the fuel system will self-prime?
Generally on any E-TEC engine there is an electrically operated fuel pump which will push fuel into the fuel distribution system and maintain a certain fuel pressure in the fuel distribution system for all times when the engine is running. When the ignition key switch is moved to RUN from OFF, you should hear the electric motor in the fuel pump running. It can run for several seconds or longer to produce the necessary pressure in the fuel distribution system.

In some instances, the E-TEC engines are rigged without a in-line fuel hose primer bulb, as the primer bulb is not deemed to be necessary. If your boat's fuel rigging has an in-line fuel hose primer bulb, you can use this to help lift fuel from the fuel tank to the engine prior to engine start.

A good source about E-TEC rigging is from Evinrude's Rigging Guides. With Evinrude no longer in existence as a manufacturer of new outboard engines, I have preserved their rigging guide for the G2 as a hedge against them shutting down their literature download website. You can get the rigging guide from this resource:

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/BRP/E-TEC_G2_Rigging&SetupGuide.pdf

In the E-TEC G2 rigging guide there is a long list of parameters that must be configured using the EV-Diagnostics V6 software, but none of the procedures have anything do to with initiating a priming of the fuel system.

I recommend you check in your E-TEC G2 Operating Guide to see if there is any mention of fuel system priming. In the copy of the guide I have, I found that priming is mentioned six times, often in association with the OILING SYSTEM. With regard to the FUEL SYSTEM, on page 19 there is a section under the heading of FUEL SYSTEM PRIMING. The paragraph that follows says:

Evinrude E-TEC G2 Operating Guide at page 19 wrote:If the outboard is run out of fuel, refill the fuel tank. Turn the key switch to the ON position to activate the fuel pump.

Now for the second question:

Ridge Runner wrote:Q2: do I need the E-TEC G2 diagnostic software to prime the fuel system?
Based on the above instructions from Evinrude in the Operating Guide for the E-TEC G2 and the absence of any instructions for fuel system priming in the Rigging Guide, I doubt that use of the EV-Diagnostic V6 software is necessary to prime the fuel system; the engine primes the fuel system every time the ignition key switch is moved to RUN from OFF.

Also, in order to use the EV-Diagnostic V6 software you need a special interface device to connect to the engine primary ICON network, and then a cable to connect the special interface device to a terminal. And you need a terminal on which you can run the EV-Diagnostic V6 software. That is a substantial investment in hardware, and you also must have the ability to use the EV-Diagnostic V6 software features.

The fuel system will need to be primed whenever it is opened, such as when you replace a canister filter. It would be an extraordinarily bad design that needed maybe an $800 investment hardware and software to just allow a fuel filter to be replaced.

Finally, if you buy the OEM replacement part, these items often include explicit instructions for the removal and replacement of the affected part, and may have advice about how to initially operate the engine after the part has been replaced. You will probably get good advice from the instruction set that may come with the part.

Since you have the appropriate E-TEC G2 SERVICE MANUAL for your engine, and there are no instructions in that literature regarding how to prime the fuel system after replacement of the fuel pump and associated fuel-vapor separator, then this is another indicator that perhaps no priming is needed. If priming were needed, I am certain it would be clearly mentioned in the service manual.

NOTE: a good source of information about self-repair of E-TEC G2 engines can be found on ETECOWNERSGROUP.COM and their forum. You can seek advice there, as that forum has many more participants who own E-TEC G2 engines than on continuousWave.com. I am certain you can get expert-level advice on the E-TEC G2 from that resource.