Replace Mercury 30-HP Remote Throttle-Shift Control

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Jefecinco

Replace Mercury 30-HP Remote Throttle-Shift Control

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:51 am

On my 1981 SPORT 13 with a [2008] Mercury 30-HP FOURSTROKE engine with power tilt and trim the [remote] throttle and shift controls are very stiff to operate. I suspect the [mechanical] cables are the newer sealed type which should be replaced rather than lubricated. In the interest of future reliability, I plan to replace the [remote throttle and shift] control and [their associated mechanical] cables.

I prefer to upgrade the [remote throttle and shift] control to the latest model that can be adapted, to take advantage of any improvements made since 2008.

The current [remote throttle and shift] control has five unused cables. I assume a pair or more used for ignition and tilt-trim control.

Give me a suggestion [for a new remote throttle and shift] control [for a 2008 Mercury 30-HP FOURSTROKE engine] and for the [mechanical] cables .

Give me the method to make this upgrade.
Butch

Phil T

Re: Replace Mercury 30-HP Remote Throttle-Shift Control

Postby Phil T » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:27 pm

I have always wanted a classic Morse control with the red ball--the authentic one, not the cheaper imitations.

They shift so smoothly and neutral is really there--no vagueness.

Teleflex Xtreme cables get high praise from owners of Boston Whaler boats.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:08 pm

I have not looked into this lately, but at one time Mercury offered several tiers of remote throttle and shift controls. If they still have that range of products, look into getting a higher tier remote throttle and shift control that will be a direct replacement for the present one.

I have operated a few boats with Mercury engines and Mercury remote controls, and I have found them to generally have a very stiff action. I don't know if this is endemic to the Mercury controls, but the ones I have used were not particularly easy to operate, and, as you describe, rather "stiff."

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:04 pm

Jim and Phil, thank you for your replies. I'm not in love with the Mercury control and can certainly look into the classic Morse control. It will need to be a side mount device with the required electrical properties. I'll have to see what I can learn from Google or Bing.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:58 pm

1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:15 am

That looks like a nice unit. Adding tilt/trim makes it pricey but it's for our classic. I'll be needing the dimensional drawing to see about mounting to the mahogany side lumber. Next I'll be needing to get the length of the control cables. The existing cables are silver in color and they form a large loop behind and under the rear thwart. The loop is approximately 30 inches in diameter. That may be what is required but seems like a lot to me. I need to read up on it. When I disconnect the cables from the control I should check them before replacing them.

My other concern is ignition and tilt/trim wiring.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:12 pm

I am not a fan of the large loops for the cables.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:45 am

I don't like the large loop. It gets underfoot and is a bit of a hazard for this 83-year-old man.

If I can reduce the loop size considerably that would justify new shorter cables.

I've not yet found all the information I would like on the Teleflex-Morse or the Dometic-Seastar web sites. I think they may be designed for installers rather than self-installer customers. At least it's not, so far, an urgent repair. I guess I would call it an improvement rather than a repair.

West Marine used to have some good DIY information so I'll fish around there.
Butch