Trailer Axle Replacement for COX Trailer

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
bjp6555

Trailer Axle Replacement for COX Trailer

Postby bjp6555 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:19 pm

My 1987 SUPER SPORT 13 is sitting on a COX trailer, and COX no longer make trailers. I want to replace the trailer axle, springs, and hubs. Measurement [of the axle length] from hub to hub is 57-1/2-inch with 48-inch spring centers.

My problem is I’m only finding 60-inch hub-to-hub with 48-inch spring centers. The trailer fenders are 64-inch end-to-end.

Give advice on finding the proper replacement parts for the axle, springs, and hubs.

Q1: will a 60-inch-hub-to-hub [axle] work [as a replacement for the original 57-1/2-inch hub-to-hub axle on a COX boat trailer]?

Brian

jimh

Re: Trailer Axle Replacement for COX Trailer

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:22 am

A replacement axle that moves the wheels 1.25-inches farther outboard on each side may cause the tires to have interference from the fenders. Whether or not that will occur on your particular boat trailer is unknown to me. The trailer fender mounting could probably be modified to create more clearance for the new tire position, or the fenders themselves could be modified to remove any interference.

If no off-the-shelf direct replacement axle can be found, a longer axle could be used, cut apart in the center, 2.5-inches removed symmetrically, welded back together perhaps with an addition of a reinforcing smaller tube inserted at the joint, or perhaps with an external larger tube slipped over the joint, and then the modified area carefully clean and painted with a galvanizing compound to inhibit rust forming.

Considering the rather light weight load that will be imposed on the axle by a 13-foot open skiff, the strength of a modified steel axle that was altered in length with proper welding should be sufficient.

fno

Postby fno » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:22 am

I agree with Jimh. Cutting and rewelding the axle tube is the easiest and most direct way to solve your dilemma. If you are in FL, I could and would do that for you.

bjp6555

Postby bjp6555 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:14 pm

Thank you JimH and FNO for your response. Most likely I'll be adjusting the fenders if an extra-length axle becomes a problem.
Brian

PATXBill

Postby PATXBill » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:00 am

Brian,

Have you tried Champion Trailers (https://www.championtrailers.com/axles- ... -hardware/)? I've used them with great success in the past. Custom measured replacement axles shipped to your door. I replaced both axles on my 1992 Magnum galvanized trailer and the fit was perfect. Good luck.

--Bill

bjp6555

Postby bjp6555 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:30 am

Bill—Thank you for the advice to contact Champion Trailers. I will call them.