Removing Tape Adhesive Residue from Gel Coat

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
MikeUFCfan

Removing Tape Adhesive Residue from Gel Coat

Postby MikeUFCfan » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:40 pm

Q1: what solvents can dilute and remove residue and stains created by "grip tape" from non-skid gel coat areas?

BACK STORY

I just purchased a [1984 OUTRAGE 20]. The previous owner had applied grip tape--similar to a skateboard--onto the textured non-slip deck. After peeling the grip tape a nasty residue remains that is really hard to get off.

I tried my best with a heat gun, then with a degreaser, then with GOO-GONE: no luck. Most of the residue has been removed but a stain remains. Next I will try using a compound and a buffer-polisher to remove the stain.

--Mike

jimh

Re: Removing Tape Adhesive Residue from Gel Coat

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:05 pm

MikeUFCfan wrote:Q1: what solvents can dilute and remove residue and stains created by "grip tape" from non-skid gel coat areas?
If you still have the "grip tape" you should test various solvents on the tape itself, before putting them on the gel coat. You might be doing more harm to the gel coat than the stain has done.

Acetone is generally a very good solvent and will remove many substances from gel coat resin. Also hot water and detergent will also remove many things that acetone won't remove.