Outrage V-20 Adding Railings

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
MikeUFCfan

Outrage V-20 Adding Railings

Postby MikeUFCfan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 am

I plan to add railings to my recently purchased [unspecified model year] OUTRAGE 20.

The railings I plan to add will be at the engine splash well and run athwartship between the gunwales.

Give me photographs of such a railing installation.

Give me advice on installing such a railing.

Q1: could rod holders be installed on such a railing?

Q2: could a bait preparation block be installed on such a railing?

Also, I may add railings on the gunwales. Those railings would be through-bolted.

ASIDE
I will make modifications to better fit my needs when angling.

I have removed the stern seat. [Now] standing at the stern of the [unspecified model year] OUTRAGE V-20 in rough water feels sketchy.

Removing the stern seat increased room in the aft cockpit.

I installed a reversible pilot seat (RPS)

The added railings on the gunwales will make a good place for more rod holders.

floater

Re: Outrage v20 Adding Rails

Postby floater » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

I removed the [upholstered stern seat] on my 1988 Revenge 20 W-T.

I then felt unsafe at the stern of the REVENGE 20 W-T.

I installed a BIG JON SPORTS brand Downrigger board across the gunwales. The board is used for down-riggers and rod holders.

ASIDE
I removed the gunwale rod holders and used those holes to mount bases [for more down-riggers]. [Repurposing the holes where the rod holders had been ] keep the number of new holes to a minimum.

The height of bases for the down-riggers can be varied.

[The bases mounted on the gunwales are] 6-inches above the gunwale; they are strong and can be leaned against.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

floater wrote:I installed a BIG JON SPORTS brand down-rigger board across the gunwales.
Please give a link to this product.

jimh

Re: Outrage V-20 Adding Railings

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

MikeUFCfan wrote:Give me photographs of [a railing at the engine splash well which runs athwartship between the gunwales].
See

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/V20Outrage/

for photographs of an athwartship railing on an OUTRAGE V-20.

MikeUFCfan

Postby MikeUFCfan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:17 am

Q3: where can railings like those [unclear] that will fit on an [unspecified model year] OUTRAGE V-20 be purchased?

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:11 pm

MikeUFCfan wrote:Q3: where can railings like those [unclear] that will fit on an [unspecified model year and now maybe 50-year-old] OUTRAGE V-20 be purchased?
If you asking about a railing as illustrated in the linked reference article (above) that is an off-the-shelf exact duplicate of the aft cockpit athwartship railing shown, I doubt there is any source available. If you want to duplicate that rather complex-curved railing, hire an artisan skilled in bending stainless steel tubing to create one. Finding such an unusual railing in stock for a 50-year-old boat that was only in production for a few years is very unlikely.

Please reveal the model year of the boat for which you are asking about replacement railings.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:20 pm

floater wrote:[The bases mounted on the gunwales are] 6-inches above the gunwale; they are strong and can be leaned against.
Leaning against an elevated base mounted on a gunwale for a down-rigger sounds extremely uncomfortable.