Keel Guard for Hulls with Rounded Keel Edge

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Serapis

Keel Guard for Hulls with Rounded Keel Edge

Postby Serapis » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:14 pm

I have a 1973 17-footer whose hull does not have a keel that is a perfect V-shape, it has a U-shape. I emailed KeelGuard to see if one of their guards would fit on the shape of my hull and they advised it would not.

I would like to hear from others who have experience and success with KeelGuard (or another brand) with hulls that have a rounded keel shape.

Jefecinco

Re: Keel Guard

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:13 am

You may find a site search useful. I have seen a keel guard used on a small Boston Whaler but don't know what year or model it was.
Butch

jimh

Re: Keel Guard for Hulls with Rounded Keel Edge

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:35 am

Perhaps you can fabricate your own keel guard. The method would be:

• Apply some release agent to the keel or even a layer of very thin plastic wrap;
  • make a impression mold of the keel, including any portion of the stem that you want to protect;
  • using the mold, create a plug which will serve as a mold without having to use the actual hull;
  • using the plug, laminate your own keel guard using the appropriate materials and resins
  • remove the keel guard from the plug, and trim it to have a uniform edge and size
  • affix the keel guard to the boat using a strong adhesive

You could also attempt to apply the chosen material for the keel guard directly to the hull, but I think the method I propose of making a plug will be easier to actually laminate a keel guard that will exactly fit the hull than if you tried doing on the hull itself.

As for what material to use to make the keel guard, I suppose you could use carbon fiber, but that advice would be tempered by a tendency for carbon fiber to loose strength with abrasion. KEVLAR might also be appropriate.

There are also commercially available kits like these from Keel-Eazy

https://www.keeleazy.com/collections/keeleazy-store

and

https://www.keeleazy.com/pages/faqs

I have no experience with this product, but it looks easy and does not cost a fortune. The material used is apparently able to CONFORM to the shape of the hull bottom to which it will be adhered by an adhesive.

jimh

Re: Keel Guard for Hulls with Rounded Keel Edge

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:39 am

Serapis wrote:I have a 1973 17-footer whose hull does not have a keel that is a perfect V-shape, it has a U-shape.
What model is your 1973 17-footer?

In 1973, Boston Whaler referred to their 16-foot 7-inch hull as a 16-footer. The aft portion of that hull is a completely rounded bottom. The bow stem and forward entry part of the hull is a V-shape, but it may not terminal in a razor edge.