c.1970 SPORT 13

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
CScanlon

c.1970 SPORT 13

Postby CScanlon » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:59 am

Q1: what engine should be used to re-power [a c.1970 SPORT 13]?

BACKSTORY

I may use a new Mercury 30-HP or 40-HP engine to re-power a c.1970 SPORT 13.

The weight of the Mercury 30-HP engine is close to the weight of the Yamaha two-stroke-power-cycle 30-HP engine now on the c.1970 SPORT 13.

I will use the c.1970 SPORT 13 on a chain of lakes. There are Mercury and Yamaha engine dealers there, so buying a new Mercury or Yamaha outboard engine will make service for the new engine convenient for me. There are other brands [of 30-HP engines] available.

jimh

Re: c.1970 SPORT 13

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:28 am

When re-powering a 50-year-old Boston Whaler boat, keeping the engine weight as light as possible is a good consideration.

To help readers understand the engine weights involved in this decision, you should provide the engine weights of the five engines you mention:
  • existing engine
  • Mercury 30-HP
  • Mercury 40-HP
  • Yamaha 30-HP
  • Yamaha 40-HP

Another consideration when re-powering is the possible benefit of staying with the same brand on the possibility of being able to reuse some of the engine rigging components such as fuel hoses, fuel connectors, steering links, ignition key switch, warning alarms, and engine gauges. On the other hand, if all the engine rigging is also 50-years old, the best choice is probably to abandon all the old electrical and fuel rigging. The old fuel rigging, in particular, can be a huge risk to a new engine. Any flow restriction in the fuel system can cause engine damage that will not be covered under warranty.

Accounting for post-sale service for a new engine is also an important factor. Even new engines will need some service, particularly during the warranty coverage interval.

In today’s boating business almost all new engines are sold pre-rigged on new bosts by the boat builder. Not all dealers representing a particular engine brand will have experience with selling and installing a “loose” new engine. Visit local engine dealers and ask about how many loose new engines they sell and install on 50-year-old boats.