TotalScan Transducer Installation

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
MikeH

TotalScan Transducer Installation

Postby MikeH » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:54 pm

Hello, Whalers. I am new to everything. I just purchased a 2016 190 Montauk--my first Whaler--powered by a Mercury 150.

I have a Lowrance Elite 7Ti still in the box. It has a very large transduce [which later was identified as the new Lowrance TotalScan transducer]. [Seeks] a photo of a mounted transducer.

I've read so much my head is spinning and would like to see a visual reference. Can't seem to find very much Whaler specific videos on youtube, either. Thanks very much for any help.

jimh

Re: Lowrance Elite 7Ti SONAR Transducer Installation

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:07 pm

The best SONAR transducer mounting advice usually comes with the transducer. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Also see

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... ducer.html

Getting the best results is often a product of fine-tuning the mounting height and the immersion of the transducer. Usually the mounting bracket allows for a range of positions without drilling new holes for the screw fasteners. It often happens that you may not get the best place on the first try. For this reason, many people choose to add a thick block of plastic, usually ultra-high molecular weight plastic, often KING Starboard or something similar--including white plastic kitchen cutting board material--which can be fastened to the transom in the general area for transducer mounting, and then this material can be drilled and tapped to accept any number of mounting hole locations for the transducer bracket. In this way you only make two holes in the transom (to hold the mounting block) and the rest go into the mounting block. These plastics are very difficult to bond, and special adhesives are necessary if you want to just bond them to the transom with an adhesive. There are some blocks sold as kits, and they usually come with the special adhesive necessary to hold this type of plastic. Regular adhesives usually won't have enough strength on this type of material to keep it adhered to the transom. I'd just use two good wood screws and forego the adhesive. But, then I already have about a dozen holes in the transom of my boat left over from the previous owner and transducers he had mounted.

Also, contact Boston Whaler customer service for advice specific to your particular Boston Whaler boat and its transom. They may have excellent suggestions.

MikeH

Re: Lowrance Elite 7Ti SONAR Transducer Installation

Postby MikeH » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:33 am

Thanks for the reply, jimh. I finally went to the Boston Whaler dealership, and they were very helpful with the install. I'll test the SONAR this weekend and post results on performance or my lack of learning curve--it could be potentially entertaining: "Sonar Bloopers."

I also hope to post some photos of the [Lowrance TotalScan] transducer installation, which I hope could help any readers of this forum.

I'm having [the TotalScan transducer] mounted on the transom. [The TotalScan transducer] features down-scan, side-scan, low/mid/high CHIRP, and 83/200/455/800 kHz frequencies.

jimh

Re: TotalScan Transducer Installation

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:32 pm

I look forward to seeing the pictures of the installation of the Lowrance TotalScan transducer on the transom of your 2016 Boston Whaler 190 MONTAUK boat.

I would also like to see any interesting screen captures of SONAR echoes you might get that show unusual clarity of bottom features or fish in the water column.

Since the TotalScan transducer is a very new product, and since it only works with a very limited number of SONAR devices, I doubt that there is any Boston Whaler dealer with any experience in installation of the TotalScan on a 190 MONTAUK transom. You are probably the first person to attempt this. Again, I'd pay close attention to the Lowrance installation instructions.