SKIPPER: an iOS Application with NOAA Charting

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
jimh

SKIPPER: an iOS Application with NOAA Charting

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:46 am

Since I am new to the iOS platform, I just came across a very interesting marine charting application for iOS called SKIPPER. The creators of SKIPPER in early 2016 changed their application into two versions, SKIPPER and SKIPPER Pro. The SKIPPER version is now a free download at the Apps Store for iOS. The SKIPPER Pro version requires a subscription of $10/year but provides added features, such as automatic download of latest chart versions.

The publishers of SKIPPER describe it as follows:

"When you download Skipper for free, you get a simple, easy-to-use NOAA online chart viewer, to use for planning and consulting charts and satellite imagery on shore. By subscribing for $9.99/year, you unlock the full power of Skipper, on all of your devices - offline charts, data back-up and sync, ActiveCaptain, weather & tides, and so much more. We think you'll love the app, but you don't have to believe us. We set up Skipper so you can try out the entire breadth of Skippers features before you decide."

Like all iOS apps, you obtain it from the AppStore.

jimh

Re: SKIPPER: an iOS Application with NOAA Charting

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:54 am

It took me a few minutes to discover why SKIPPER was not showing my location. I had to change the PRIVACY settings to permit LOCATION SERVICES to access my current location. That's how the SKIPPER app gets your location from the iOS device.