2002 130 SPORT Electrical Power for Trolling Motor at Bow

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Mendi

2002 130 SPORT Electrical Power for Trolling Motor at Bow

Postby Mendi » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:34 am

[This thread has been separated from a different thread]

[On a 2002 Boston Whaler 130 Sport] [I] have a 12-Volt Motorguide X3 55-lbs trolling motor. [A] battery won't fit in the bow anchor compartment.

Can I tap into the navigation lamp wiring?

I [do not plan] to run the trolling motor wiring along the rub rail or to drill a bunch of holes along inside gunwale wall.

[Do readers have] any ideas?

[I] saw [an electrical] diagram of [a DAUNTLESS--a different boat] model. The electrical diagram of the DAUNTLESS shows a conduit from the navigation lamp to the aft end of the DAUNTLESS.

Jefecinco

Re: 2002 130 SPORT Electrical Power for Trolling Motor at Bow

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:54 am

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you want to know if the bow navigation light cables have sufficient load carrying capacity to operate a 55 pound thrust 12 volt trolling motor the answer is: I doubt it.

Is a fishing package with an electrical power outlet in the bow an option on the 130 Sport? If so, it is likely a conduit exists leading to the location of an optional bow electrical outlet. If not, I doubt it. Have you asked Boston Whaler?

An option is to run a dedicated cable directly from the battery to the trolling motor above deck. You could also attach some "stick on" cable hangers on the inside of the hull along the cable route to keep the cable off the deck. Another option is to mount the trolling motor in the aft part of your 130 Sport and have a shorter cable run above deck.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:02 am

The wiring for the navigation lamp at the bow is only designed to distribute a few watts of electrical power and would be completely unsuitable for operating an electric trolling motor.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:05 am

I don't understand why you are making an inference about how your 130 SPORT is built based on a diagram you saw for a different model Boston Whaler boat. If you need information about your 2002 130 SPORT hull, you can contact Boston Whaler customer service. They can provide the information you are seeking regarding how the boat was constructed. Boston Whaler likely has a drawing that shows the construction, and they can email it to you.

As JEFE has speculated, if Boston Whaler did not offer an option of factory rigging of an electrical power outlet at the bow, it is unlikely you will find a special conduit installed for carry large gauge electrical conductors to the bow.

Mendi

Postby Mendi » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:52 am

Thank you all for your inputs.