Mandatory Style Elements

Introduction to the forum software and its feature. You can use this for test postings. This is not a boating forum
jimh

Mandatory Style Elements

Postby jimh » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:50 pm

Posting to the forum should conform to a few very simple style elements:

CAPITALIZATION--use a capital letter for the first word of a sentence; use a capital letter in proper names; capitalize the personal pronound "I."

Examples:

PROPER USAGE: I have a Boston Whaler boat.
INCORRECT USAGE: i have a boston whaler.

PUNCTUATION--mark declarative sentences with a period. Mark interrogative sentences with a question mark. Do not use repeat punctuation marks.

Examples:

PROPER USAGE: The boat is a new model. Has anyone been aboard one?
INCORRECT USAGE: The boat is a new model???? Has anyone been aboard one...

An ellipsis can be used in quoted material to indicate an omitted section of the original material.

NOMENCLATURE: the name of elements of a boat or engine should use the proper nomenclature.

Examples:

PROPER USAGE: The anti-ventilation plate is running just at the waterline. The engine trim tab is straight.
INCORRECT USAGE: The cavitation plate is running just at the waterline. The little metal gizmo is straight.

For words with variant spellings, the spelling used by Boston Whaler is preferred.

Example: gunwale in preference to gunnel.

In general, misspelled words will be corrected without annotation.

REFERENCES TO PRONOUNS: avoid using "it", "he", "them", "they", and similar pronouns, especially when no antecedent noun has been used.