170 MONTAUK for Water Sports

A conversation among Whalers
Goesinsnow

170 MONTAUK for Water Sports

Postby Goesinsnow » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi gang. I am looking at a used 2014 170 Montauk. This will be an upgrade from my 14-foot tinner. Does anyone use [a Boston Whaler 170 MONTAUK] for water sports? What is the ski, tow, and wake performance? Thanks. And, yes, I'm new here.

macfam

Re: 170 MONTAUK for Water Sports

Postby macfam » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:07 pm

The 170 Montauk (assuming proper set-up with correct prop etc.) with a fuel injected 90hp 4-stroke is one of the most versatile boats ANYWHERE. I've driven several, and they perform well with water sports. I have never witnessed wake boarding from one, and can't give an opinion on that. 170 Montauks are fast, great riding, dry, and, of course, safe. One of the best small boats ever made.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:58 pm

I am not familiar with water sports, so could you explain what is expected from a boat to be used for water sports in terms of its:

--wake

--ski, and

-tow

performance. I don't really know how to evaluate a boat on those dimensions. If you could explain more about what sort of performance would be good for water sports, you may be able to get more definitive replies about how a Boston Whaler 170 MONTAUK would perform in those situations.

Also, is there a particular 17-foot boat that you think would represent the optimum 17-foot boat for obtaining the best performance in the three criteria of wake, ski, and tow? If you could mention a boat that really excels in all three categories, it might be possible to make an inference about how the 170 MONTAUK would work.

The Boston Whaler MONTAUK boat has been in production for about 43 years, so you perhaps can draw an inference from that long history of production that the model is a versatile and popular model.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:30 am

The 170 would be great for towing tubes and skiing. No outboard is desirable for wake boarding. Only inboard with ballast options would be good for wake boarding.
It doesn't mean you couldn't wake board behind a Montauk 170 as when you put enough weight (2 people) in the transom seats and don't get the boat onto plane you could get a pretty good wake but not optimum. This would require the bench seat option or the 2 rear seat option see seating options at http://www.bostonwhaler.com/Page.aspx/pageId/29592/pmid/344786/170-Montauk.aspx
The standard 90HP Mercury will do a good job pulling a skier and for tubing. Make sure you get the the optional Tow Arch as that will be better than the two transom tow eyes with bridle.
As mentioned above the 170 Montauk is a very versatile and desirable all around boat, go get it.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Mikeymeg

Postby Mikeymeg » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:42 am

A friend of mine would use a waterbed bladder as ballast, he would lay it out towards the stern and fill it (not all the way) at the dock. It worked well and he would dump when we returned to the dock. This was before they had specialty boats with built in ballast for wake boarding.