2006 110 SPORT Observations

A conversation among Whalers
CrazedAndConfused

2006 110 SPORT Observations

Postby CrazedAndConfused » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:37 am

I have a 2006 110 SPORT with a stock Mercury 25-HP engine. The boat gets used twice a day for morning and evening fishing within one mile of my home on the Chesapeake Bay when the weather permits and for the occasional joy ride. I've had it for five seasons.

The 2006 110 SPORT is super stable; I can stand right on the edge of the very corner of the foredeck with minimal lean to the boat. I stand on the anchor locker and often propel the boat with a paddle--my manual trolling motor. With chop the ride is abusive and wet.

If the wind velocity is greater than 8 to 10-knots, I stay home, as the 2006 110 SPORT bounds like crazy. I have to reduce boat speed to super-slow if the wave height is one-foot or greater, and I have to run straight into it.

In flat water, a 110 SPORT with 25-HP will run about 25-MPH at full throttle, varying a bit with how much fuel and gear is aboard. The usual boat speed is around 20-MPH.

Fuel endurance is very good. With two trips each day the engine consumes about 1.5-gallons per day

The 2006 110 SPORT boat is slow to plane. With one person aboard it planes, but the transition to plane is slow. Often I lean forward to speed up the process.

With two people both in the stern seat, both must lean forward to get the 110 SPORT to plane in a reasonable amount of time.

With a very big second person or more than two aboard, someone has to move to the bow to permit the boat to plane. With three or four large people the 110 SPORT will not get on plane.

When heading out with a second person I typically put them on the forward seat alongside the console.

As a tender a 110 SPORT can carry a considerable weight, and it is fine with four people if you don't want to plane and there is no chop. If there is chop the crew will get wet.

If you need to cover some ground from anchor or use the boat for exploration, you likely won't be happy due to the sluggish performance and beating you senseless if there is much of a chop. The 110 SPORT, however, is well suited for zipping around a marina or a calm anchorage to the dock.

If Boston Whaler had designed the hull of the 110 SPORT with more "vee" to get a better ride into headseas, the hull would have lost so much stability that it wouldn't be suitable for use as a tender--its intended purpose.

A 110 SPORT by design is shaped like and floats like a Styrofoam block, producing stability over performance. It is like a very buoyant brick.
1998 17 Outrage II
2006 110 Sport

jimh

Re: 2006 110 SPORT Observations

Postby jimh » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:51 am

Many thanks for those interesting observations about the 110 SPORT boat. I don't recall much chatter about that model, and to have some useful information about the 110 SPORT is most appreciated.