2022 360 OUTRAGE New Model

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

2022 360 OUTRAGE New Model

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:53 pm

After teasing me with many emails previewing the introduction of a new model 360 OUTRAGE, Boston Whaler revealed the new boat on Monday, February 14, 2022, a few days before the start of the Miami International Boat show. At that same time, a new recorded presentation was posted to youTube.

The youTube presentation on the 360 OUTRAGE introduces two new components to Boston Whaler, the new boat and the new President of Boston Whaler, Kris Neff. (Mr. Neff's appointment as President of Boston Whaler was announced in September 2021, and was mentioned in the series of posts on Boston Whaler Leaders.)

Mr. Neff appears on camera in the presentation. He introduces a short promotion video showing the new boat underway with typical customers aboard. I found that recording exactly as Mr. Neff mentioned it would be--"amazing."

The presentation then reverts to a recorded-live format, and three Boston Whaler employees who participated in the design of the new boat are introduced : John Barbier, design manager, Chris Wachowski, director of program management, and Chad White, lead engineer for the 360 OUTRAGE model.

First to comment is John Barbier, design manager. Mr. Barbier is head of design and style, and he is rather stylish himself, sporting a long handlebar mustache. He briefly describes the design process, how customer input is important, and mentions a few prominent new features: the aft entry to the upper control station, aft-facing cockpit seats, and interior and dashboard innovations. He emphasizes the important process of transitioning from concepts to actual engineering of them. The presentation then moves to Chris White.

Chad White, lead engineer on the 360 OUTRAGE project, then speaks about a number of difficult engineering problems that had to be solved. He frequently mentions "F-E-A" which I presume means finite element analysis, a method of analysis of structural forces. The new hardtop, in response to customer comments, was enlarged, which required much finite element analysis to produce appropriate strength, deflection, and resistance to vibration in the hardtop and the carefully designed framework that supports it.

Another engineering problem to be solved was the weight and power of twin 600-HP engines. Again "a lot of F-E-A" was used, and the transom is said to have been "specifically designed...for these engines." Design validation of the transom and engine components was conducted by "150-hours of offshore testing in sea conditions [with waves] ranging from four to six to eight feet at five to six-second intervals...ideal for testing a boat."

Next program director Chris Wachowski explains his role is to supervise the process of how a concept boat that has been engineered is then actually produced. He gives a walk-around tour of the boat. A notable item mentioned is in the dual 19-inch SIMRAD chartplotter displays, for which Boston Whaler has developed "our own user interface so that we could really simplify the boating experience." This integration of custom Boston Whaler firmware into a SIMRAD product is probably a result of the $1-billion acquisition of NAVICO (parent of SIMRAD) by Brunswick which was announced in June 2021.

At about the same moment, the popular BOATTEST.COM website released a boat test report on the 360 OUTRAGE. "Captain Steve" does his usual very thorough walkaround tour. The aft-facing seats are carefully examined, as is the aft access to the upper station. He briefly mentions a component that I find perhaps the most interesting: the elimination of any sort of generator set and replacement with lithium batteries and inverters, which Boston Whaler refers to as "Fathom" technology. Again, this innovation may be a part of the expertise gained by Brunswick's acquisition of ReLION battery, which occurred in September of 2021.

Another feature that shows good design and engineering is the access door on the side of the center console that leads to the cabin space. It has a unique hinge that allows it to swing out of the way while the door is open. Boston Whaler has demonstrated considerable expertise in its in-house design of unusual hinge components on their boats to produce enhanced operation of seats and doors.

While almost all BOATTEST.COM reviews are extremely positive, this one even more so than usual, as "Captain Steve" seems unable to find any element of the boat for which he can offer his own advice for improvement.

Getting down to some dimensions and numbers, I found a few of them very out of the ordinary. The maximum boat speed: 61.3-MPH. That produces a fuel burn of 98.5-gallons-per-hour, or 0.6-MPG. With a full tank of 415-gallons, the range is just 232-miles (statute miles). For me, 415-gallons of fuel is about four seasons of boating. Going to a fuel dock and taking on 400-gallons (at $5-per-gallon or $2,000) is just not imaginable for my type of boating.

Another staggering number is the boat weight. From the Boston Whaler specifications, this hull will weight 18,200-lbs with the standard triple 300-HP VERADO engines and full fuel. I suspect that the optional twin V12 600-HP engines will push the weight even higher. Getting this boat moving at over 60-MPH with that much weight seem astonishing, but, then again, there are 1,200-HP to propel the boat--more than five times the 225-HP on my boat transom.

I have not seen any information on price. As the old saying goes, if you have to ask you can't afford it. I suspect that many buyer will opt for the twin 600-HP engines, which are about $80,000 each. And adding options could easily cost another $100,000. An MSRP of $1,000,000 would not surprise me.

There is a rule of thumb that a boat should not cost more than 10-percent of your net worth. And the operating costs will be 10-percent of the boat's price. I am afraid I don't have $10-million in liquid assets, nor the intense desire to go boating at a cost of $100,00 per year. I am not a customer for this boat.

It was just 18-months ago that Boston Whaler was introducing the slightly shorter 2020 350 OUTRAGE. The new 360 OUTRAGE apparently replaces the 350 model. An 18-month product life seems quite short for such a large and expensive boat.

NorthShoreWhaler

Re: 2022 360 OUTRAGE New Model

Postby NorthShoreWhaler » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:12 pm

Boston Whaler did a really nice job on the 2022 360 OUTRAGE boat.

I love the use of lithium batteries instead of a generator.

Also to see two or three engines instead of four engines is nice.

I can’t imagine a boat speed of 60-MPH. In our New England waters there are very few days when that speed would be possible.

jimh

Re: 2022 360 OUTRAGE New Model

Postby jimh » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:21 am

In an email from Boston Whaler sent to me regarding the 2022 360 OUTRAGE, the boat is described as "[d]esigned from the keel up to maximize comfort, space and functionality..." I presume this means the hull design was entirely new and specific to this model.