Interpret Hull Stencil Number

A conversation among Whalers
LDR

Interpret Hull Stencil Number

Postby LDR » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:24 pm

The only ID I have for my 13-foot hull is a stenciled four digit number When I looked in the FAQ's I didn't see any info about four digit numbers The number is 6273 So what does this tell me about this 13-foot hull?

jimh

Re: Interpret Hull Stencil Number

Postby jimh » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:46 pm

LDR wrote:When I looked in the FAQ's I didn't see any info about four digit numbers.
Note that NOT all stencil numbers are four-digit numerals. Please re-read the FAQ at Q1:

Follow the hyperlinked text "13-foot" to the 13-foot article in REFERENCE:

Read the reference article. Read the listing of stencil numbers and production epoch.

Locate your boat stencil number (6273) in the range listed.

The hull was probably made c.1962, based on interpolation of the range for 1961 to 1963.

Also, re-read the FAQ at Q2:

In particular, read: "Interpreting the stenciled hull number depends on reference to Whaler's internal records. Information on the 13-foot and 16-17 foot hulls is available up to 1972." Note that the words "13-foot" are hypertext. Click on the hypertext. This will take you to the reference article on the 13-footer, as above. There you will find a listing in a tabular form giving the approximate year of production for certain ranges of stencil numbers.

LDR

Postby LDR » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:26 pm

Thanks.

I read thru the material again.

I am just getting started on this project, and I am new to this forum

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:47 am

Welcome to the forum--and to the website, which has a lot of information outside of posts in this forum and its predecessor forum, which we call "the Old Forum." The website has been collecting information about Boston Whaler boats for more than 20 year, and all of it is preserved in the archives.

That your c.1962 Boston Whaler boat still has its original stencil number visible is really quite good luck. Often older boats get their stencil number painted-over at some time in their service.