Best Place to Sell Used Outboard Engines

A conversation among Whalers
jfritzke26

Best Place to Sell Used Outboard Engines

Postby jfritzke26 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:40 am

Q1: from the choices below what is the best place to sell a used outboard engine:
  • Facebook marketplace
  • Craigslist
  • a new outboard dealer
  • Whaler Central
  • continuousWave
Q2: what is a reasonable price to ask to sell a Yamaha 90-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engine in working condition [if the engine was made sometime between c.1985 and 1999]?

[A small photograph of a 90-HP Yamaha engine seen from the behind is available at]
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DUbXdTPQ3Ls4bHdx5

jimh

Re: Best Place to Sell Used Outboard Engines

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:50 pm

In selling a outboard engine, the local buyer will be preferred, and for that reason I think—of your choices—use craigslist.

To assess the engine value, the actual year of its manufacture, some service records, and the total hours of run time will be more useful than a photograph.

If the engine dates from 1985 it would be 38-years-old. Were it not for significant inflation in the cost of new outboards, a 38-year-old engine would be considered more of a collectable antique than a useful engine. Buyers of 38-year-old outboard engines are bottom-tier bargain-hunters in most cases, so don’t be surprised if offers are rather modest.

Selling to an outboard engine dealer as a trade-in on the purchase of a new engine will probably be the easiest sale, but not likely to extract the full value.

The best selling price will be to an enthusiast of Yamaha 90-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engines who just loves this particular model and wants another one.

jfritzke26

Postby jfritzke26 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:47 pm

Thanks, jimh.

For ease of sale, I would definitely prefer the dealer, but they were talking about parting it out. And since I've read pretty often that a lot of people prefer the Yamaha 90-HP two stroke for the Montauk 17, I wondered whether there was a larger audience looking for a working condition motor.

However, I recognize that old motors can be ticking time bombs, and I don't have any service records or approximate number of running hours. I just bought the boat last summer from a guy that sold it because he wasn't finding time to take it out more than once per year, so I could estimate low-ish hours but have no way to verify that.

I feel like I got a decent deal on the boat so I'm not looking to make a profit per se, but it would be nice to pass on the motor to someone who would appreciate it.

Once I can verify the year, would $1000-2000 be reasonable, assuming it's in the date range I've already guessed (1986-1999)?

Thanks for your help.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:15 pm

Facebook Marketplace above the others.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:33 am

Have the outboard engine on your boat and in running condition, so you can demonstrate to a buyer that it starts easily when cold, idles nicely, and can get the boat on plane. Being able to demonstrate the engine will help sell the engine. If the engine is off the boat and cannot be started, finding a buyer at a good price will be harder.