NAUSET 16 with Extra-large Console and Windshield

A conversation among Whalers
Dave_a

NAUSET 16 with Extra-large Console and Windshield

Postby Dave_a » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:16 pm

Here's one for the gray beards who were around when Boston Whaler came out of the egg in Massachusetts:

Q1: was there an option on a classic NAUSET 16 for a larger console and windshield?

I do not see any plans for a "jumbo" or "grande" size console and windshield in the archives.

Q2: are there any woodworking artisans that have built an extra-large windshield for a NAUSET?

BACKSTORY: I decided to save some time and buy a new mahogany windshield from Specialty Marine. A discounted "blemished" item, that I can varnish myself. So what the heck: the windshield was $219 versus full price of $389, and it arrived in two days. I was over the moon. Smart move on my part. A quick sanding, varnish, and I'm in business.

Then I tried a test fit on the console. This windshield is too narrow by by six or seven inches.

I called Specialty Marine and spoke with Amanda. She told me Boston Whaler made a super-sized console and windshield. These were very rare, but Specialty Marine have run in to this problem before. Specialty Marine is paying for the return freight, and I am getting a full credit. I thought that was very nice of them.

jimh

Re: NAUSET 16 with Extra-large Console and Windshield

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:59 am

I have not make a special search to look in any archives for an option for a larger console on a classic NAUSET 16, but I think there may be a more likely explanation: perhaps Boston Whaler decided to change the size of the console at some point in the production of the NAUSET. For example, perhaps the initial console was found to be a bit too wide, and Boston Whaler just reduced the size by making it six inches less wide on later models. This change might have gone unnoticed by contemporary buyers and by current owners with restored boats.

An interesting survey would be to measure the width of the apparently wider-than-normal console on your NAUSET, publish that dimension, and then solicit other NAUSET owners to contribute the width of their consoles to this discussion. Also, knowing the model year of your boat with the wider console would help locate the epoch when the wider console was used.

The published plans for the NAUSET from Ward Grafton would be a good place to fix the width dimension.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:41 am

In some correspondence with Ward Grafton, apparently there WAS an option for a larger console on the NAUSET boats.

The standard NAUSET console width was 36-inches. The wider console width was 40-inches.

Ward's drawings are based on the 36-inch-wide console in his 1966 NAUSET 16, and he notes that even the 36-inch-wide console was a bit tight to get around.

Dave_a

Postby Dave_a » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:40 pm

Thank you for the research, Jim. I have reached out to Ward for information. The console is indeed 40 inches wide.
I would be happy to provide info to CW for the archives. My boat is a 1964 Nauset #32229 which falls within the proper data range for a 1964 model year. I'll forward pictures and dimensions later this weekend. I have repackaged the windshield for return.
Thanks again for the information.