1974 Sakonnet Appraisal

A conversation among Whalers
CloudNine

1974 Sakonnet Appraisal

Postby CloudNine » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:11 am

I am a Boston Whaler fanantic and have owned a 13-footer and a Montauk 17. I have found a SAKONNET for sale.

The SAKONNET is in poor condition and is way overpriced; the hull seems solid. I consider this model to be rare, and I am inclined to overpay to get my hands on it. This SAKONNET is unaltered since new, which is also somewhat unusual for a 1974 model; almost every [similar old Boston Whaler] I see is modified somehow.

Give me an assessment of the SAKONNET as [seen below and as described above].

Q1: is a SAKONNET as rare a find as I believe it is?

IMG-7659 (1).JPG
Fig. 1. A SAKONNET in its current condition.
IMG-7659 (1).JPG (150.77 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

jimh

Re: 1974 Sakonnet

Postby jimh » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:43 am

The wood condition is hard to assess from a photograph. If the wood is solid and without rot, then the wood could be refinished and reused. However, I believe some elements of the console and seat were made from plywood, so the hardwood veneer layer may not have enough thickness to permit proper sanding yo good wood.

If the wood is rotted, then its value is only as a pattern to make a duplicate from new wood, a task that would require very skillful work.

The console windshield is missing.

The canvas is NOT the OEM Wm. J. Mills & Co. product.

Assessing the hull condition from a photograph is also difficult.

Determining where the boat has been sitting unused for the last several decades may be a clue to the wood and hull condition.

There is a tendency for owners of older classic Boston Whaler boats in rather poor condition to put their asking price much higher than a buyer would expect solely on the basis of the boat being a Boston Whaler. Any other 50-year-old 16-foot boat with dried out wood and in dirty condition would be lucky to fetch an offer of $250.

The SAKONNET was the most expensive model in the 16-foot line, and the higher price likely contributed to fewer SAKONNET boats being sold compared to similar models like a NAUSET.

CloudNine

Re: 1974 Sakonnet Appraisal

Postby CloudNine » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:51 pm

Thanks for your comments.

I am not delusional about the boat’s condition—not as much as the owner is delusional regarding its value.

The hull is dry, but it has been indoors for at least two years exactly where you see it.

The attractive part about this boat is that it is an unaltered original.

The wood is in poor condition; it is solid enough for use but not for a true restoration. I could easily clean up the wood with some stain and varnish. The boat would look presentable with a new windshield. After getting rid of the junk, I would have a Boston Whaler higher end model.

Or I could buy all new wood for this boat from Specialty Marine.

As I said, I am an aficionado and this is apparently a rare and special find—at a reasonable price.

Thanks again.

Two photos:

IMG-7660.JPG
Fig. 2. A SAKONNET
IMG-7660.JPG (153.52 KiB) Viewed 2122 times

IMG-7663.JPG
Fig. 3. A SAKONNET
IMG-7663.JPG (79.8 KiB) Viewed 2122 times

CloudNine

Postby CloudNine » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:53 pm

Apologize for the typos, writing too fast and not double checking.

[You should edit your post to fix the errors. Use the pencil icon to invoke the editor. I fixed the typos and misspellings—Moderator.]

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:43 am

As long as the veneer on the plywood has not lifted off from the underlying layers, there is a good chance it could be brought back to a presentable appearance.

In the last 20 years at least five or six small shops have been in the business of fabricating replacement wood parts for Boston Whaler boats, and they all gave up after relatively short times in that marketplace. In comparison, Specialty Marine has been around for quite a while. I have not dealt with them myself, and thus I don’t have first-hand experience to permit me to offer an opinion. I do note that there is a wide range in buyer satisfaction with their products expressed in prior discussions.

In Figure 3 there is something that looks odd attached to the forward face of the center console at the baseline. It looks like a metal strap. I don’t think that would be OEM.

The missing board in the bow platform should be easy to replace. I think the platform was not made from a fine hardwood. It may have just been pine boards, and that is why it was always painted white instead of left to a natural wood finish. Dick Fisher was a practical guy, and something that would be walked on would not be varnished.

The Yamaha F70 engine adds considerable value to the deal.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:51 am

I would not replace the wood, as there is every chance the wood can be restored with a little elbow grease.

I would not purchase any imitation parts from Specialty Marine as they are lower quality and overpriced.

Bob Latourelle is known to Boston Whaler owners for high quality wood interiors and parts for classic models. He can be reached at rlatourelle@comcast.net, ‭(978) 837-880
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Dave_a

Postby Dave_a » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:29 am

[Gives the following advice in appraising the boat under discussion:]
  • Where the wood attaches to the deck should be carefully examined. Water can migrate up from the attachment screws and [at] the cut edge of the plywood. While the outer veneer may look only discolored, you may have nothing left inside the plywood. Probe [this region] with an awl.
  • Today's box-store paint stripper is NOT what you remember. Multiple applications are needed. Some brands and products are ineffective or they will blacken the wood. As their instructions say, "test a small area in an inconspicuous area". Do take that to heart.
  • Examine the bottom condition carefully. If the boat’s past usage was to be kept in the water, the [hull bottom] may be “punky”, cracked, and flaking.
  • There is A LOT more work than you think there. Do your due diligence.

The Yamaha four-stroke-power-cycle outboard engine is a big plus. [There is a value of] $11,00 right there—if new. Buy it, you need a full time hobby.

Buy it, you need a full time hobby.

ASIDE
I just restored a NAUSET. I had [the gel coat layer on the hull bottom of my NAUSET boat] “peeled”, sanded, faired, and [recoated with] epoxy resin.

I've owned two 38-foot boats. I said, "how much work could there be in a 16-footer?" Holy smokes!