25-footer for Texas Coast

A conversation among Whalers
MBnPOC

25-footer for Texas Coast

Postby MBnPOC » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:41 am

I want a sturdy boat, and a boat that will last a long time, and a boat will be comfortable for angling at jetties in the Gulf of Mexico coastline of Texas, and a boat that also will be comfortable for prowling the surf and nearshore, and a boat that will also be comfortable for going up to 30-miles offshore on a really good day, and a boat that will also be comfortable for drifting on bays.

Q1: between a Boston Whaler 25-foot DAUNTLESS and a 25-foot OUTRAGE, and based ONLY on your first-hand experiences, which will best fit my needs?

ASIDE
I’ve lived in and around the [Texas—spell out the names of states in your narrative instead of using postal code two letter acronyms] coast most of my life and have owned many boats over the years. I have fished both offshore and bays for years and have now reached the age where fishing shallow water no longer interests me. I plan to get a boat again. I realize that there are no perfect bulls for all situations. But I’d like to get close.

Jefecinco

Re: 25-footer for Texas Coast

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:22 am

The Dauntless series are more family boating oriented whereas the Outrage boats are more oriented toward fishing. Having said that, we owned a 16 foot Dauntless that was a great little fishing boat and there are many larger Dauntless boats used primarily for fishing. The Dauntless is highly adaptable and if you have family that enjoys boating it can be an excellent dual purpose boat. For offshore fishing you would think the deeper V hull shape of the Outrage would be the hands down winner. But by being only a little judicious when choosing days to fish offshore the Dauntless would do very well in that role.

I suggest you look at both boats and try to get a chance to take a ride before making a choice based on very subjective opinions from a forum.
Butch

MBnPOC

Postby MBnPOC » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:56 am

Butch—thank you.

Yes, an Outrage is much better for offshore. I only anticipate 10 days each year that I would make longer offshore trips—those truly good, flat days.

Most use will be around jetties and cruising up and down the shoreline in one-foot to two-foot seas.

I must be sure the Dauntless would perform well in those situations.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:30 pm

Q2: are you comparing only the current model 250 DAUNTLESS and 250 OUTRAGE and buying new?

Q3: are you considering non-current, used 25-foot models?

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:17 pm

MBnPOC wrote:I only anticipate 10 days each year that I would make longer offshore trips—those truly good, flat days.
You must be contemplating a lot of days for boating if the “only 10-days” you go 30-miles offshore is just a minor element in your use of the boat.

In my boating, ten days is about 100-percent of the boat’s use, and I would not be more than a few miles offshore.

Running out 30-miles into the Gulf of Mexico regularly would make me want twin engines on the transom of a 25-footer, or, at the least, a very reliable auxiliary engine that could produce significant forward propulsion in rough seas.

MBnPOC

Postby MBnPOC » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:53 pm

I live in Port O’Connor, [Texas—spell out the names of states in your narrative instead of using postal code two letter acronyms]. A ten minute boat ride gets you out to the jetties and into the Gulf. I will do eight to ten offshore trips a year. I’ve been on four just in the first three weeks of July.

I am 60-years-old and retired. In Port O’Connor there is nothing to do other than fish, read a book, or watch TV.

I definitely prefer a used Outrage 25 or Dauntless 25. I am not afraid to restore the right boat and re-power that boat.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:56 am

The classic era OUTRAGE 25 is a very versatile boat, and certainly capable of venturing 30-miles to seaward on a calm day.

Finding a good hull will not be easy. The most likely situation for coming across a used OUTRAGE 25 boat will be finding one rigged with older twin engines that are not in good condition, so the boat really needs a re-powering. The problem with re-powering with twin engines on a notched-transom OUTRAGE 25 is two-fold.

First, the cost of two new modern outboard engines of 150-HP will likely be greater than what you will have paid for the used OUTRAGE 25 boat. The anticipation of needing to invest so much into an older hull is what puts these boats on the market in the first place.

Second, the total engine weight on the transom with modern twin outboard engines will probably put the engine splash well drains below the waterline, and that is always a bad sign indicating too much weight on the transom.

A solution will be to convert to single engine rigging, and perhaps have an auxiliary 8-HP engine as a get-home engine or to use if you plan spending a lot of time trolling. A modern 250-HP engine will be plenty of power.

I have spent some time underway on an OUTRAGE 25 at the helm. It is a wonderful hull.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:15 am

I am not familar with a 25-foot older DAUNTLESS model.

For a lengthy production epoch the 220 DAUNLTESS was offered, and it seems to have been a strong seller based on the number of them I have seen in use. The freeboard on the 220 DAUNLTESS is much lower toward the stern, but that may be useful for angling. The 220 DAUNLTESS was always a single engine rig.

Unlike the prototypical Boston Whaler boat owner, I am not an angler, and rod racks on my boat hold boat hooks, mops, flag staffs, and canvas support rods for the mooring cover, instead of fishing tackle. I am thus unable to offer any comments regarding suitability for an angler.

MBnPOC

Postby MBnPOC » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:34 pm

jimh wrote:The classic era OUTRAGE 25 is a very versatile boat, and certainly capable of venturing 30-miles to seaward on a calm day….I have spent some time underway on an OUTRAGE 25 at the helm. It is a wonderful hull.
jimh—great information and food for thought. Thank you.