Assessing Hull with Unusual Cracking

A conversation among Whalers
Pugster

Assessing Hull with Unusual Cracking

Postby Pugster » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:20 am

I am considering buying a 1997 Outrage 17—my first Boston Whaler boat. The hull has bottom paint, but looks to be in generally good shape. However, there is a section approximately two-feet-long in the “valley” below one of the strakes that is showing a discolored, yellow-brown, cracking pattern. [The cracks are so narrow that I] can’t even get a fingernail into them. Other than this area, there are no signs of obvious damage, although the bottom paint could be hiding something.

Q1: is [the two-feet-long yellow-brown cracking an indicator that] I should walk away (not purchase this boat)?

Getting a marine surveyor to have a look at the boat has been a challenge.

I have read about [tapping the hull with a] plastic hammer to check for delaminating. I think that is my next step.

Q2: what are other methods to assess this hull prior to buying it?

ASIDE
I’m looking forward to soon joining the Boston Whaler community—and not just on the internet

—Peter

jimh

Re: Assessing Hull with Unusual Cracking

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:48 am

Q3: is the two-foot-long yellow-brown cracking in the area of the hull bottom with bottom paint?

Q4: if the boat is on its trailer, what is the relationship between the two-foot-long yellow-brown cracking area and any bunk or roller or hardware on the trailer?

Pugster

Postby Pugster » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:26 am

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply.

The cracking is on the uppermost strake above where it contacts the trailer. The crack extends from mainly the unpainted section to “just into” the bottom paint. Looks to be above the waterline.

[For help with using the forum software, visit the forum whose topic is INTRODUCTION TO THE FORUM SOFTWARE. Use of the forum software is not a topic that is discussed in the boating forums like THE GAM.]

Thanks again for any advice.

Peter

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:40 pm

Post some photos.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:01 pm

PHIL T owns an OUTRAGE 17, so he can offer you much better advice than I can that is specific to that model.

That said, cracking on the hull bottom near a strake sounds like something that happened during the boat being loaded onto or unloaded from the trailer. The notion that the damage is in a two-foot long area also sounds like the boat was being. moved over the area of impact, as would occur on a trailer during loading or unloading.

Or, perhaps there was something about the trailer set-up that put too much loading force on that part of the hull, and travel on the highway caused damage over time.

If the boat took the bottom, the damage would be on or close to the hull centerline or keel.

Ask the seller to explain how the damage occurred. He may offer a plausible explanation.

Pugster

Postby Pugster » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:32 pm

Thanks for the info gents, I was out of the country and having trouble figuring out the pic function. Here’s a pic of the cracking. The seller said he never noticed it prior, which I admit I find a bit tough to believe.

IMG_0003.jpeg
Fig. 1. Cracking in hull bottom along strake.
IMG_0003.jpeg (58.94 KiB) Viewed 2723 times

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:30 pm

The most curious element in Figure 1 is the abrupt change in the hue of the gel coat between the strake and the hull.

Q5: is there any chance the Strake was not original to the boat?

Pugster

Postby Pugster » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:59 pm

jimh wrote:Q5: is there any chance the Strake was not original to the boat?
I don’t think so, at least the other side seemed more uniform. The side of the boat with the cracking was parked against a fence,. [Perhaps] that is causing the color difference from a shadow or reflection in the [illustration seen in Figure 1].

The pattern of the crack makes me think it’s not from a central impact, that it is a result of a crack that has spread slowly from the front to the aft section of the hull along a weak bit of gelcoat. [The appearance makes] me think it may be superficial and not indicative of trouble underneath, but that’s why I’m checking with those more experienced than me.

I am NOT in the market for a costly project boat.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:11 am

About the only further advice I can offer is this: try scrubbing the area with the yellow-brown cracks with a strong detergent to see if they are just some sort of surface pigmentation that can be scrubbed away.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:24 pm

Remember these boats are hand made.

The photo above shows gelcoat spider cracking that is typically found on curving or corner surfaces when it was applied too thickly and has dried out due to exposure.

It is cosmetic.

Detailing the gelcoat and removing the oxidation will lessen the visual sign of the spider cracks. The purists would have the cracks ground out and the gelcoat reapplied costing several thousand dollars when done by a professional.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Pugster

Postby Pugster » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:16 pm

Phil T wrote:Remember these boats are hand made.

The photo above shows gelcoat spider cracking that is typically found on curving or corner surfaces when it was applied too thickly and has dried out due to exposure.

It is cosmetic.

Detailing the gelcoat and removing the oxidation will lessen the visual sign of the spider cracks. The purists would have the cracks ground out and the gelcoat reapplied costing several thousand dollars when done by a professional.

PHIL T :Thanks . I am having the hull looked over on July 29, 2023. I found a surveyor. He looked at the picture and said something similar.

Peter