Boat for Long Island Sound: c.2002 230 OUTRAGE

A conversation among Whalers
ranjr13

Boat for Long Island Sound: c.2002 230 OUTRAGE

Postby ranjr13 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:56 pm

I may buy a 2002 230 Outrage with an E-TEC 250-HP engine with 350-hour run time, in Maine. The boat and engine appear to be very clean. If I buy the boat, I would be using it on Long Island Sound--in all kinds of weather.

Give me comments on the 230 OUTRAGE hull. I'm very familiar with classic-era Boston Whaler boat what to look for, but I have not been around the newer generations much at all.

Give me comments about the E-TEC 250-HP engine.

Also, give me other options for an appropriate boat for Long Island Sound, if you don't like this package..

ASIDE

Hello all - it's been a little while. I last had a 1985 Outrage 18 that I sold. I have been doing a rebuilding project on a Grand Banks Heritage Trawler. Now I am considering getting another Boston Whaler just to have some fun and not have to work on a project for a while.

Bob Norton, Jr.
Haddam, CT

Phil T

Re: Boat for Long Island Sound: c.2002 230 OUTRAGE

Postby Phil T » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:15 pm

Unless you plan on servicing the engine yourself assess which, if any, local dealers service E-TEC engines.

Many dealers have ended service of E-TEC engines as a matter of principle--very short sighted if you ask me.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: E-TEC 250-HP Engine

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:25 am

I have owned an Evinrude E-TEC engine since July 2009, a model-year 2010 225-HP engine. I am happy with the E-TEC.

I have a great local E-TEC dealer--really the best Evinrude dealer in the Midwest--Lockeman's Hardware and Boats, who has done all the service work. They have been an Evinrude dealer for over 100-years.

I have extensively reported on the engine performance in many posts in the PERFORMANCE forum. I have also reported on the engine maintenance history in the REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS forum. Here are two links that will give you information about my experience with the 2010 E-TEC 225-HP engine:

PERFORMANCE DATA
1990 REVENGE 22 W-T Whaler Drive, E-TEC 225
https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewto ... 98&p=45220

SERVICE DATA
E-TEC Engine: Maintenance History After Ten Seasons
https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=3937

I cannot comment on your particular 250-HP E-TEC engine because you have not fully identified the engine. In the E-TEC evolution there are two major epochs: the legacy engines (often called Generation 1 or G1 engines but never marked as such), and the second generation or E-TEC G2 engines.

There is considerable difference between the two generations of the E-TEC.

My engine is a legacy E-TEC or a "G1" engine.

The parent company of Evinrude, Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) is no longer selling new E-TEC engines, but they continue to support existing engines with replacement parts and warranty settlements. All modern outboard engine are quite more complicated than c.1980 carburetor two-stroke-power-cycle outboard engines. Having access to a certified and well-trained service department is really essential for any engine.

The E-TEC engine is somewhat unique among modern outboard engines in that it can provide a comprehensive engine history report about its operation. Before buying any used E-TEC engine, you MUST obtain a recent printed copy of an ENGINE HISTORY REPORT from that engine. More about Engine History Reports at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... eport.html

If you can identify the engine model code number of the particular E-TEC 250-HP engine you are considering buying, I can give you better background about that particular production epoch. An Evinrude E-TEC engine model code would be something like

E250DPXISE

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:04 pm

You really should do a comprehensive sea trial when purchasing a boat that substantial.

Hopefully you can find some poor conditions to give you a sense of how she handles in the snot.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:18 pm

Regarding a c.2002 230 OUTRAGE: I really love the lines on that boat. It was produced after Boston Whaler was acquired by Brunswick, and its design has both classic Boston Whaler elements and some new design elements.

The reverse slope of the shear line at the transom (often called a "Euro-transom') is a typical added-element, probably from the influence of naval designers from Sea Ray, Brunswick's major boat company at that time. Brunswick designers tended to tinker with moderate V-hull designs, changing every four or five years, and giving the new hulls a new group style name. The hull-style name for the c.2002 230 OUTRAGE, may have been "The Accutrack Hull." The ride qualities should be very good for a 23-footer, and I think the lines of the boat are excellent. The center console also looks very nice to my eye.

I don't know how long this model was in production. I believe it originated in c.1998 as the 23 OUTRAGE, but the model designator was changed to become 230 OUTRAGE to keep it in harmony with newer models in c.2002.

One attribute--if you can call it that--about Brunswick ownership of Boston Whaler was there was no hesitation to bring out new models with new hulls and new interiors, despite the very expensive molds needed for fabrication of a Unibond hull. Boston Whaler literature of this epoch often bragged that the mold plugs were cut on precision multiple axis computer controlled machines--over at the Sea Ray design center.

I suspect that this 23-footer is quite heavy, so having a 250-HP is a good match for engine power.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:23 pm

If by chance the 2002 230 OUTRAGE is the boat offered up in Maine by York Harbor Marine Service, the E-TEC 250-HP engine is a legacy or G1 model year 2011 engine.

In the evolution of the legacy E-TEC 3.4-lter V6 250-HP engine, 2011 is a very good model year. It has all the major improvements in the "G1" epoch in that model year.

You can read more about E-TEC model year changes and improvements at my article in the REFERENCE section:

E-TEC Model Year Changes
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... anges.html

If you like that boat, you should move rapidly. I think the offered price sounds quite decent in light of today's crazy new-boat prices. The only big-ticket item to be careful about is the engine. It has probably been running in saltwater up there in Maine. With the E-TEC out of production, I think the used values of those engines has fallen, but in reality, how much is a 250-HP engine run in saltwater that is 12-years old really worth? A lot of saltwater boaters get new engines sooner than 12-years. Perhaps it was rack stored and little used.

Also, a 2011 engine means the boat was re-powered. The original might have had a Mercury OptiMax. Generally to switch engine brands when re-powering indicates the prior owner must have had faith in his Evinrude dealer.

ranjr13

Postby ranjr13 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:15 pm

Thank you all. I will read the links and previous articles. If I move on it I will update.

Bob
Bob Norton Jr
Haddam, Connecticut
2002 Outrage 230
2011 ETech 250
2024 Loadmaster Aluminum Trailer

Stayinstrewn

Postby Stayinstrewn » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:02 am

Flagship Marine in Stratford [Connecticut] continues to service and sell E-TEC engines.

If you buy the boat, you might want to bring the engine there for service. Jonas is a good guy and takes great care of these engines.
Wasque - 1979 Outrage 22, Honda 225

ranjr13

Postby ranjr13 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:09 am

UPDATE

On Saturday August 19, 2023, I traveled to Maine and looked at the 2002 230 OUTRAGE boat [that has been under discussion in this thread].

The boat is being kept at York Harbor Marine. John is the owner of the yard, and is brokering the boat for someone who moved up. He wanted to do a sea trial as part of purchase consideration.

I saw the 230 OUTRAGE being lifted out of rack storage and checked out the bottom: nothing of any significance for hull or engine lower unit. The boat is cleaner than photos, and in better condition than expected. All cushion and bolsters have just been replaced and look like new. While the console windshield and dashboard switch plates could use a bit of updating, the boat shows in better shape than I thought it would.

In the water the E-TEC engine started instantly.

Heading out of the York River in Maine and into the open Atlantic, we found some confused seas, with waves of two to three feet and an occasional four foot wave thrown in. The boat was solid, there was no creaking, there were no flexing sounds, and no loose hardware sounds. On the way back to shore with the following sea, the E-TEC engine could accelerate to about 6,000-RPM, and the boat speed was in the low 30's. [Here to know the units, statute miles or nautical miles, and a more precise speed would be very useful. I am suspecting perhaps nautical miles was the unit, so a boat speed of "low-30-NMPH" would perhaps be 33-NMPH or about 38-MPH --Moderator]

OUTCOME

I am passing on this boat not because of anything wrong with the boat, but several other boats I looked at also in Maine Saturday will likely meet my needs a little more closely. If the other deal falls through I may go back if this boat is still available. This is a high quality 2002 230 with a very clean 2011 E-TEC. This Whaler Dealer sold the boat new, sold the re-power, and has yard maintained it for both original owner and current owner. Anyone looking for a very nice Whaler might reach out.

Thank you to all who gave me insight and erformance data testing information. It was all extremely helpful and made my decision to walk away that much harder.

--Bob
Bob Norton Jr
Haddam, Connecticut
2002 Outrage 230
2011 ETech 250

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:41 pm

You have me in suspense now: what other boat did you see in your trip to Maine that was a better fit and perhaps a better deal than this 230 OUTRAGE?

ranjr13

Postby ranjr13 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:23 pm

Jim - several down east boats - totally different boats - small but quick lobster boat style boats, a Holland is of great interest right now. That said this dealer has made me another offer on price for the Whaler, so I'm still in the review/consideration mode. If you had to guess what the comfortable cruising range would be with some fuel as backup, what would you estimate going at the easiest cruise range, maybe around 3,800-4,000? According to your testing that might be a good easier cruising speed - hard for me to tell for sure, wondered if you studied that on yours. Thanks.
Bob Norton Jr
Haddam, Connecticut
2002 Outrage 230
2011 ETech 250

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:49 am

Regarding fuel burn rate for a 250-HP E-TEC, I can make an inference from the fuel burn rate for my 225-HP E-TEC.

For the combination of a 225-HP E-TEC and my boat (REVENGE 22 W-T WD), the optimum fuel economy occurs around 3,900 to 4,100-RPM engine speed, with the boat speed at 27-MPH. The fuel economy is about 2.7-MPG, so we can calculate the fuel burn rate as 10-GPH.

The unknown factor is the combination of the 230 OUTRAGE--a different boat--with the 250-HP E-TEC--the same engine technology but with 0.1-liter more displacement. That combination might about the same fuel burn and same boat speed, but it is impossible to predict an exact number.

As for cruising range, I do not know the fuel tank capacity of the 230 OUTRAGE boat, so I cannot predict a cruising range. I found one mention of a 166-gallon fuel tank. If that were correct then at 10-GPH you could run for 16.6-hours, and if the boat speed were 27-MPH the range would be over 400-miles. If the 250-HP burned 11-GPH and the boat speed was only 25-MPH, you would still have a 375-mile range.

ranjr13

Postby ranjr13 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:25 am

So we're getting closer to the original boat we looked at, the 2002 230 Outrage. E-TEC seems good, have history, compression test, sea trial outside in sloppy conditions. It's low hours, been rack stored, all cushions including bolsters replaced. Paperwork signed, will leave in Maine for a couple weeks until trailer ready from Loadmaster Aluminum, then grab trailer, then pick up boat.

I could run boat down from Maine to Connecticut, but the E-TEC engine has not had any hours on it this year due to the seller using his new boat, and I want to "ease-in" the E-TEC engine before doing long runs.

After a good cleaning, some updating in electronics and a few personal touches here and there, and this 230 will be pretty sweet.

Thank you again Jim, et al. for assistance and valuable information used to compare the few Outrage 230 boats out there, and to negotiate final pricing. One quick pic for now, more when "home" in Connecticut.

Bob Norton Jr
Haddam, Connecticut
2002 Outrage 230
2011 ETech 250

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:51 am

If you have obtained an engine history report for the E-TEC 250-HP engine, check to see which oil setting has been selected. In the E-TEC engines the rate of oil usage can be set to two different values: the engine will be using any TCW-3 oil, or a setting if the engine will ALWAYS be using the Evinrude XD100 oil. If the oil rate is set to the XD100 oil, there will be a reduction in oil usage.

On my engine, I have been using XD100 oil almost from the first few hours of engine operation, but I left the oil rate set to the TCW3 setting. I figure if the XD100 is a superior oil, why not use it, and just to be safe, I use it at the TCW3 rate, on the basis that if a little oil is good then a little more oil is better. The XD100 oil is completely smokeless and burns very cleanly. However, the oil in the bottle has the strangest smell--it has a fishy odor. But I cannot recall ever smelling that odor in the engine exhaust.

A gallon XD100 used to cost around $35, but the price has recently jumped to $55. I think BRP is trying to make back some lost profits by jacking up the price of E-TEC parts and accessories--but what has not almost doubled in price in the last three years? The oil is still available but is now sold under the name XPS Marine, Evinrude XD100 oil. This was just a branding change so that all the oil products for all BRP two-stroke-power-cycle engines (also used in snow machines or personal watercrafts) would have a common brand. For a long time the dealers could buy this product in 55-gallon barrels and sell it to their customers by re-using old retail one-gallon bottles. But I think BRP has cut off the sale of the oil by the drum, so now it's one-gallon bottles as the only packaging.

The diagnostic software for the legacy E-TEC engines is EV-Diagnostics v5.xx, which I think is up to v5.7 as the latest. The software was intended to be for dealers only, as it has many functions that can alter engine configuration and should not be tinkered with unless you really know what you are doing. But the software escaped into the wild very early in the E-TEC era, and now many E-TEC owners have a copy and use it for simple functions, like getting an engine history report or setting the oil rate. For more advice on EV-Diagnostics software, see my article at

EV-Diagnostics Software
https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4706

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:17 am

As an E-TEC owner, you may find the resources I have created related to their electronic gauges to be useful. See

Evinrude I-Command, ICON Pro, ICON Touch
https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

ranjr13

Postby ranjr13 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:23 am

Excellent advice on the oil settings, completely agree with going with the [great oiling rate provided by the] TCW3 [setting]. Oil is cheap insurance, so I will stick with the XD100. The dealer in our area used to do what your dealer did, drums to returnable bottles, but if necessary will go with individually packaged gallons.

I'll get my hands on the software for monitoring only--I do that with cars in my family.

Thank you again for the link to the electronic gauges, and I will look into that as well.

For now the new boat is 200 miles away by land. I will have it home to really start going over by the end of the September 2023. It will be a long few weeks.
Bob Norton Jr
Haddam, Connecticut
2002 Outrage 230
2011 ETech 250

ranjr13

Postby ranjr13 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:57 pm

The [2002 230 OUTRAGE] boat [that has been the topic of this thread] is now at my home, on its new trailer.

I left Connecticut on Wednesday, September 20, 2023 [heading for Florida to buy a new trailer for the 2002 230 OUTRAGE]. I arrived arrived in Tampa late on Thursday, September 21, 2023.

I picked up a new Loadmaster aluminum trailer at the builder's shop on the morning of Friday, September 22, 2023. I then drove through late Friday (September 22, 2023) and on into Saturday morning (September 23, 2023) arriving home in Connecticut on Saturday (September 23, 2023). Then I made a round trip from Connecticut to York, Maine, on Sunday, (September 24, 2023) to tow the boat to my home in Connecticut.

I will go over [the 2002 230 OUTRAGE boat] for safety equipment and make sure everything is 100-percent. That done, I will then drop the boat into the water and put into its slip to use for a bit this fall. The boat will spend the winter of 2023-2024 in the barn where it will get a bunch of cosmetic things.

Figures 1 and 2 show. the boat on the new trailer, ready to leave Maine.

To all the crew of this website who have offered advice, thanks again

Fig. 1. The 2002 230 OUTRAGE on its new trailer in Maine, ready for the road trip to Connecticut.

Fig. 2. The 2002 230 OUTRAGE on its new trailer in Maine, ready for the road trip to Connecticut.

[Note: click images for higher resolution views.]
Bob Norton Jr
Haddam, Connecticut
2002 Outrage 230
2011 ETech 250

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:55 am

Bob--I am amazed at the amount of driving you have done to get the trailer and get the boat moved in such a short time. You must be ready for a few days of relaxation after that trip. Congratulations on the new boat and new trailer.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:33 pm

John and the crew at York Harbor Marine are great.

They hosted a group of us during one of my gatherings back in the day. In addition to lunch and Whaler swag, they allowed sea trials of several models, including the just introduced Montauk 150.

As you noted, the sea state outside the harbor can be somewhat active.

Congrats Bob!
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:37 pm

LOADMASTER makes a great trailer. In 2019 bought a LOADMASTER trailer for my Boston Whaler boat.

I hope [the LOADMASTER trailer you have purchased] fits your boat correctly.

ranjr13

Postby ranjr13 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:31 am

Thank you all.

PHIL T: Yes, John at York Harbor Marine was very helpful.

The trailer was set-up by the folks at Loadmaster Aluminum Trailers based on previous hulls for this boat. And other than moving the mast [winch post] forward about 18-inches, all bunks and bow guides were setup perfectly, needing no adjustment. Loadmaster added white plastic glides on the front bunks as we noticed wear there on our previous trailer under our Outrage 18.

As I dive into every nook and cranny of the 2002 230 OUTRAGE, I'm very impressed with the quality.

I have started a list of things to update, but nothing major wrong has been found as of yet. The worst problem thus far is that I had to clean the contacts on the port navigation lamp to get it to illuminate.

I will be picking the brains of those on this site over the winter, looking for advice on:
  • updating striping on the hull sides
  • adding new electronics
  • choosing a bottom paint color
  • and other projects.

If this weekend turns out to be dry in our area, the boat will go into storage for the rest of the season.

And most importantly, the inspector--my dalmatian "Booster"--approves and is spending some quality time while the boat is in our barn.

Bob Norton Jr
Haddam, Connecticut
2002 Outrage 230
2011 ETech 250

fno

Postby fno » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:23 pm

Bob,: regarding the red-green navigation lamps: they look the same as mine on a 210 Outrage from 2015. You will find yourself cleaning the contacts and replacing the bulbs frequently--too frequently. I recommend doing two things to eliminate the problems:
  • replace the bulbs with LED technology festoon bulbs;
  • install the bulbs in the clips and solder them into place. This may require some sandpaper and flux to accomplish, but it is well-worth the effort.
Since doing these steps I have no any concerns with the red-green navigation lamps.

ranjr13

Postby ranjr13 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:05 pm

FNO—I completely agree with your suggestion to solder LED Festoon bulbs in-place. I will be doing that possibly as early as this weekend.

Thank you.
Bob Norton Jr
Haddam, Connecticut
2002 Outrage 230
2011 ETech 250

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:39 am

I was about to say that I disagree with soldering the replacement LED lightbulb into the bulb retainer. LED lightbulbs may not last forever, and if soldered in place could be hard to get out. Instead of solder, try some grease to keep out water.

ASIDE: an incandescent miniature lightbulb in the tail light of my 1995 GMC Suburban burned out recently, and when replacing it I noticed the socket and bulb contacts were covered by a brown grease. It was good for 28 years of service.

ranjr13

Postby ranjr13 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:52 am

Jim - understand. Figured the life of the LED would be longer than the need to replace, plus could always melt the solder and re-solder. But, even though I used dielectric grease once and it worked, it only worked for a week. With it being in water and not wanting to cut wires to take off and solder while still trying to use, may do another round of wire-brushing and then try heavy grease on both ends to get through the season then solder in a controlled environment over the winter.

I checked for an identical Perko replacement with factory LED but can't find one, so will try to make these work to keep period authentic.

Thanks as always for input.
Bob Norton Jr
Haddam, Connecticut
2002 Outrage 230
2011 ETech 250

fno

Postby fno » Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:32 pm

I attempted to use silicone grease prior to my fix with solder. I did this because Boston Whaler delivered the boat with silicone on the tabs. It did not work in this application after several tries. While it may be useful for socket type bulb holders, it is more or less useless for these PERKO tabs that rely on a minor amount of spring tension to maintain contact with the bulb. I think one difference is that there a fair amount of saltwater intrusion that corrodes both the PERKO tabs and the bulb ends. I believe my modification has been in use with zero problems for about 15 years now. I think soldering in two bulbs every 15 years makes for better economy of time and $$. One thing to remember is that you need a proper soldering iron or gun, good solder, some flux and prior experience using a soldering iron. I have done my share and I'm sure JimH has done more in his days so he can answer to the skill level needed. Plus it will be a helluva a good winter project for Bob. As far as I know you can still buy the PERKO light holders but not with LED bulbs installed.

FWIW, I am a big fan of solder joints over crimp connections (this includes ring teminals), shrink tubing with glue inside over the cheap ones at Lowes, and liquid wire insulation when needed (hard to find but Worst Marine sells small cans).