GUARDIAN Hulls and Maximum Engine Power Rating

A conversation among Whalers
Maverick

GUARDIAN Hulls and Maximum Engine Power Rating

Postby Maverick » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:15 am

Q1: do GUARDIAN hulls sold by Boston Whaler lack a power rating placard that indicates the maximum engine power?

The last two GUARDIAN boats I owned did not have a maximum horsepower placard. My understanding is that commercial series hulls do not have a maximum rating assigned to them by Boston Whaler.

jimh

Re: GUARDIAN Hulls and Maximum Engine Power Rating

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:13 am

Maverick wrote:Q1: do GUARDIAN hulls sold by Boston Whaler lack a power rating placard that indicates the maximum engine power?
I believe that at this time you would not be able to purchase a GUARDIAN from Boston Whaler. That model would need to be purchased from Brunswick Commercial and Government Products. Visit their website at

https://www.brunswickcgp.com/

Inquire with Brunswick Commercial and Government Products to determine if the boats they sell to commercial and government customers are delivered without a placard that indicates the maximum horsepower of the propulsion engine.

As for any past practice of Boston Whaler when it was selling GUARDIAN boats, I have a feeling the current customer support staff may not be able to answer the question posed above. The old-guard guys at Boston Whaler are probably all retired now.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:08 pm

Maverick - Call Boston Whaler Customer Support - 877-294-5645

Note - Brunswick has significantly reduced Customer Service/Support activities for models no longer in production.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

PeterO

Postby PeterO » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:45 pm

My 2018 GUARDIAN 210 (length 21-feet 4-inches) was built-to-order and purchased through Brunswick Commercial and Government Products Division, as will all GUARDIAN models now be This GUARDIAN 210 has a placard indicating maximum power, maximum weight, and maximum number of persons.

capacityPlate.jpg
Fig. 1. The federally required capacity plate on a GUARDIAN 210 boat, indicating 300-HP motor permitted.
capacityPlate.jpg (28.38 KiB) Viewed 451 times

Interestingly, the manual provided with the boat states:

”The United States Coast Guard requires boats less than 20 feet (6 m) to display a capacity plate that indicates the maximum number of people and the maximum weight that the boat can support under normal operating conditions.”
This may be suggesting some larger boats may not have placards, but mine did.

The 2013 manual indicates the maximum engine power is 250 HP (See Figure 2 below.)

guardianSpecPage.jpg
Fig. 2. Page 6-1 from the manual listing specifications for a 2018 GUARDIAN 210.
guardianSpecPage.jpg (41.39 KiB) Viewed 455 times

ASIDE: I am content with my Yamaha 200-HP engine.

Peter O.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:16 am

PETER—thank you for the clear verification that a GUARDIAN may have a federally required capacity plate. Perhaps that you were an individual buyer and not a military or government agency affected the inclusion of the capacity plate.

Because your boat is larger then 20-feet, the inclusion of the capacity plate would not seem to be required, but as seen in almost all Boston Whaler boats, there usually is such a plate, no matter the length of the boat.

Also a bit odd is the variation in rated power: the plate says 300-HP; the manual says 250-HP.