Montauk 17: Handling Rain Water Accumulation in Cockpit

A conversation among Whalers
sappletbs

Montauk 17: Handling Rain Water Accumulation in Cockpit

Postby sappletbs » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:30 am

Q1: How can accumulation of rain water in the cockpit of a [unspecified model year] MONTAUK 17 be prevented while moored and unattented?

Q2: [If an electric sump pump whose current drain is unspecified] is available, and if the pump [control switch] is left in the ON position, how long will a topped-off battery [of unspecified capacity for energy storage] last [before the electric pump no longer can lift water out of a MONTAUK 17]?

DIFFERENT TOPIC
Q3: what cover works well with [unspecified model year MONTAUK 17]?

—Scott

jimh

Re: Montauk 17: Handling Rain Water Accumulation in Cockpit

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:20 am

sappletbs wrote:Q1: How can accumulation of rain water in the cockpit of a [unspecified model year] MONTAUK 17 be prevented while moored and unattented?
See the owner’s manual for advice. If you do not have a printed copy of the owner’s manual, read my on-line HTML version at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... drainTubes

sappletbs wrote: Q2: [If an electric sump pump whose current drain is unspecified is available, and] if the pump [control switch] is left [in the] ON [position], how long will a topped-off battery [of unspecified capacity for energy storage] last [before the electric pump no longer can lift water out of a MONTAUK 17]?
This question cannot be answered because the rate of power consumption by the pump and the amount of energy stored in the battery are not specified. In general the proposed method is completely unworkable. Any pump left switched on will deplete the typical engine starting battery capacity in a few hours, and the pump may be damaged by running dry for extended time.

Also, in any OEM wiring by Boston Whaler the ON position of the switch controlling the sump pump is only a momentary action position, thus the the basis of the question—the pump left in the ON position—could not occur on a boat left unattended.

An OEM control could be left in the AUTO position, but this creates a risk of a dead battery if the pump runs frequently.

DIFFERENT TOPIC
sappletbs wrote:Q3: what cover works well with [unspecified model year MONTAUK 17]?
The OEM provider of weather canvas for a classic-era MONTAUK 17 was the Wm. J. Mills & Co. They are still in business and can still provide canvas.

Read the REFERENCE section article

Original Equipment Manufacturers and
Recommended Vendors

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/OEM.html

For canvas read at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... tml#canvas

msteinkampf

Postby msteinkampf » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:23 am

There are three options for management of rain accumulation in a Montauk 17, and I have done them all:

1. Remove the drain plug. In my 1990 Montauk 17 with a 1991 Mercury 90 HP outboard engine and two batteries mounted at the stern, doing this will result in the accumulation of no more than one inch of water above the level of the deck at the stern, regardless of how much it rains. This is probably the best choice for short-term management of even the most severe accumulation of water, and it doesn’t depend on a pump, but it does require that you scoop out some water or run the boat on plane to eliminate the remaining water when you are ready to use the boat, and I wouldn’t do it long-term because of the potential for water penetration into the hull through screws (like the ones used to mount the battery cases) or through the fiberglass itself. Of course, this is the best choice if the boat is being stored out of the water.

2. Do nothing (and leave the plug in). I used to do this routinely when the boat was in the water for a few days, and any overnight accumulation of rainwater was run out the next day by getting the boat up on plane and removing the drain plug, but once there was an overnight thunderstorm that filled the boat and caused it to sink to the bottom! Fortunately, the boat was moored to a dock in about 16 inches of water over a hard sand bottom, and the water was below the level of the battery terminals, so I just pumped out the water with a baitwell pump. Don’t choose this option if you are expecting heavy rain.

3. Install a bilge pump and a float switch in the sump. This is my current setup. It keeps the boat dry overnight, but there is the potential for battery, pump, or switch failure, effectively leaving you with option 2 if the boat is left unattended. You could probably reduce the risk of problems if you keep the battery connected to a charger, but I don’t rely on the bilge pump to keep out water unattended longer than overnight.

DIFFERENT TOPIC
Regarding canvas selection, I second jimh’s recommendations. I purchased my current cover from Carver and I am satisfied with it, but when I recently needed to replace the storage boot for my bimini top, I ordered it from Mills, the manufacturer of the bimini, to ensure a correct fit.

M
1990 Montauk 17’ w 1991 Mercury 90 HP outboard
1995 Aquasport Explorer 245 w twin 1995 Yamaha 150 HP outboards

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:20 pm

Whether the water accumulation in a cockpit sump with the sump drain left open to the sea will overflow the sump depends on the distribution of weight in the hull, and the particular hull.

The speed that a pump can discharge a battery can vary with the control system. The traditional control system was a float switch which only causes the pump to run when the water level in the sump demands. The use of an automated pump, which autonomously turns itself on as a way to detect water in the sump, may result in more battery discharging from the relentless and continual running of the pump to detect the presence of water in the sump.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:51 pm

Leave the plug out.

No muss, no fuss.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003