2002 275 CONQUEST Hull Deadrise, SONAR Transducer

A conversation among Whalers
naibda

2002 275 CONQUEST Hull Deadrise, SONAR Transducer

Postby naibda » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:49 am

Q1: what is the deadrise angle of a 2002 275 CONQUEST?

I have not been able to locate that information.

I plan to install a through-hull SONAR transducer on my 2002 275 CONQUEST. I need to purchase the appropriate tilt-angle in the transducer.

Q2: what is a URL where information about the deadrise angle of the V-hull of a 2002 275 CONQUEST can be found on-line?

FOR ANYONE WHO HAS INSTALLED A THROUGH-HULL SONAR TRANSDUCER ON A c.2002 275 CONQUEST:

Q3: how did the installation work out for a through-hull SONAR transducer on a c.2002 275 CONQUEST?

Q4: what SONAR transducer did you use?

ASIDE

I have found information about the recommended location on the hull of a 275 CONQUEST for installation of a through-hull SONAR transducer.

Jefecinco

Re: 2002 275 CONQUEST Hull Deadrise, SONAR Transducer

Postby Jefecinco » Wed May 01, 2024 9:05 am

Contact SONAR transducer makers. There are SONAR transducers available for different dead rise hulls and different depth sounder makers. Be prepared to provide that information. The maker of your sounder may be a good starting point. A telephone call is often more effective than email.
Butch

jimh

Re: 2002 275 CONQUEST Hull Deadrise, SONAR Transducer

Postby jimh » Wed May 01, 2024 9:39 am

naibda wrote:Q1: what is the deadrise angle of a 2002 275 CONQUEST? I have not been able to locate that information
I do not recall that Boston Whaler has ever published a specification for the hull deadrise for their boats. Also, unless a hull is a constant-deadrise type V-hull, the deadrise angle will vary with the location on the hull. The deadrise at the transom may not be the same as the deadrise at the location of the putty-box* where a through-hull SONAR transducer should be installed.

Your best approach to determining the exact angle is probably to measure the angle yourself.

You can easily measure the angle yourself if you have an iPhone (or other smartphone). Typically a utility application will include a means to measure an angle. You can set the iPhone on its side transversely on the aft deck of the boat, and set the angle measurement to zero. Then hold the iPhone against the hull at the particular location where the SONAR transducer will be installed. The iPhone will give you the angle of the hull bottom at that point.

You may be able to use the iPhone under water to measure the angle if the iPhone is put in a plastics bag to keep water out. Some newer models are rated for water immersion to several meters..

For advice on how to use an iPhone as a level, read at

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-the-level-iphbd435673d/ios

If you have an Android smartphone, you may be able to find a similar app available for those devices.

--
* putty-box: the term Boston Whaler uses to describe a small area in the molding and foam filling of a Unibond hull where the foam is kept out of the area and replaced with a putty-like material for the purpose of creating an hull cross-section through which a large-diameter hole can be made to permit installation of a through-hull SONAR transducer without exposing the foam interior of the hull to water.